X

Painting rims???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting rims???

I have painted rims for my mustang for track day and the black never came off even on a tire machine and I would swap out the painted and stock rims at least 2-3 times a month.... Has anyone here ever painted there rims.... I want black this silver is nice but black would look so much better.... so any ideas or what did you use to do yours with....

Dupli-color makes a decent wheel paint. I've used it before, just be sure to scuff up the old paint with 400 grit paper first and use an adhesion promoter or primer .
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Sandblasted, primed and painted with Dupont
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

man that looks awesome^. I'm in the process of picking up some dupli color to do my rims. I guess I'll just follow the manufactures directions. It seams a little to easy. But at least its cheap enough won't be a huge deal if it doesn't last for years.

Comment

just make sure there super clean,dirt and grease are the biggest reasons paint fails to adhere

Comment

What duplicolor primer for rims? They got a lot to choose from doesn't seem clear to me. I'm just scuffing the before applying the primer w/ 3M Scotch-Brite Scuff Pads.
            thread jack!
            Tho OP might have the same questions.

Comment

Take a look in my garage, there are some before and afters. dreaded purple wheels.........

It was duplicolor as well. So far everything is sticking pretty well.
              Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

^that is a huge difference, howd you polish the lip to look soo shinny?

Comment

Originally posted by F-B-A View Post
                  ^that is a huge difference, howd you polish the lip to look soo shinny?
                  Instead of sandblasting them, I stripped them using zip strip. This left the aluminum smooth. I used a 3M scratch pad to clean up any problem areas and then just used Mothers Wheel polish. I was able to strip/paint and change two tires in two nights after work. Pretty easy, just requires some elbow grease.
                  Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

I didn't sandblast the lips, just the spoke area. Like SGT I just chemical stripped the lips before sanding / polishing.
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

im surprised the shine comes out from under that purple paint. im disappointed i found this thread AFTER i dropped my wheels off to have the tires put on.... guess ill be waiting till the next time around.

Comment

OK, just finished paint my rims w/ dupli color. Came out alright. Now exactly what I wanted.
                        Anyone know why these rims came out like rough/dust/sand finish looking? then smooth. Cleaned it thoroughly after sanding and used their tackcloth.

Nevermind fixed them w/ very little wetsanding, look great now.
                        Before

After wetsanding.
                        Last edited by Action!Jackson; 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Nice job man! Makes me want to strip and polish/ paint my rims now!

Comment

yeah like wise, i got that kinda gun metal color on my rims i wanna paint them black as well

gotta question though, How do u wet sand?

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

wow i am glad i found this. i have factory gold rims. i cant wait until it's due for tires so i can paint the rims black. any recomendations on what kind of chemical stripper to use?

Comment

Working...
                              X