X

Do I have to paint my wheels?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to paint my wheels?

So what happens if I use the aircraft stripper to get the blue off of my stock rims, and dont repaint them? Anyone have any pics of what this might look like? I dont think aluminum rusts, but will it look tacky?
    I've been wanting to paint my rims gold for a while, but I'm not too sure if I have the time or money to do a project like that by myself.
    Big thrills and no spills

paint them or powder coat them... then you can say they are "custom" :P

Comment

You can leave them without paint or powder coat. They'll shine up nicely. But you'll want to put some kind of clear coat on them or they will start o look like crap from dirt and grime.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

The bare aluminum will not rust, it will corrode. The equal of rust, but for aluminum. If you allow them to get very dirty they will start to get black spots down in the aluminum itself and if left longer, will get white corrosion on them like a old battery terminal. I am a painter myself and I took mine to a place and had them powdercoated. Any color I wanted and $100 a wheel. I can't by good paint and go to all the work of striping them for that, and the powdercoat is tough as nails. Cleans up real nice too. But if you still want to paint them, I wouldn't strip them until your ready to complete the job. Got pics of my wheels when I got them back last year on www.putfile.com/vwfishboy if you want to take a look. I'll send you the info on the place that done mine. Really happy with the work. Matter of fact, just had another set done for a gsx-r I'm doing right now.

Comment

just look in my garage...I stripped off the black paint on my rims, and have not cleared them or anything.
          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

have you had any problems with corrosion? how long does it take to kick in?
            Big thrills and no spills

Comment

you can clean them regularly with a scotch-brite (nothing too abrasive) and they will be fine. i use biodegradable Simple Green as to not kill the cats and dogs round here
              1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
              X