masking vinyl

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chinto View Post
    What sort of spray gun do you have?
    i bought one from Princess Auto when I was intending on painting my car (which didn't happen... word to the wise, don't give your keys over to drunk friends)... so it's just a crappy gun that would do that job if needed.

The problem with taking on a job like this is that once you paint it you really should clear coat it. To do it right, you will need to scuff the entire piece (panel that you are spraying the design on) and clear the whole thing.
    i would intend on clear coating it... well, i'd be clear coating the whole bike as i would need to paint the entire bike (the red wouldn't really go with what i'm thinking)

A simpler solution would be to have a sign or print shop, make up some vinyl decals in the pattern you decide on. It will be way cheaper, less work, (possibly look better) and give you an opportunity to decide if that is the right design to go with when painting it is a better option. Just a thought.
    wouldn't decals peel/crack/look horrible after a while?
    the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
    # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
    [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

How big are you looking for the flowers to be ?
      - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

i'm undecided if i want them to be graduated in size... starting from a cluster of them working out to larger more spread out flowers down the body, or if i want just a couple of them

at any rate, i imagine the main flower size would be about 3 1/2 - 4" in diameter
        the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
        # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

I have used the masking vinyl available from sign shops on two paint jobs. You definitely need to use an airbrush with it, not a full size paint gun. Well, you could so long as the tip is 1.0 or smaller. Any larger of a tip will create harsh edges when you pull the mask of leaving a large 'step' in the paint, needing several coats of clear to smooth out the transition. Too much clear on plastics leads to cracking, no matter how much flex agent you put in it.

As far as the decals go, there are many different kinds of vinyl available, just make sure the sign shop you go to uses a high quality outdoor sign vinyl.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

would you want to clear coat over the decals? or just leave them as is?

are they movable- if i don't like the positioning, kind of thing?
            # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

for about 200-500$ you can have a wrap made.
              If its just a few designs that you want prob a lot cheaper.
              Only thing about the Katana and installing a wrap. the curves
              one the left and right cowling can be a little tough but if you
              soften the wrap with a hairdryer or a heat gun you can stretch
              it to make it fit to any contour. I been thinging of doing a wrap myself
              cause it's not permenate and can be removed with a heat gun and
              about 2-4 hrs on a day off and WAY cheaper than a airbrushed art

sportbike, motorcycle, Vinyl, wraps, decals, graphics, sport bike, designs, themes, sticker kits, bikeskins, Vaporlock, cruisers, baggers, custom, real flames

I cant recommend these guys cause I dont know the quaility of work
              ...just found em on the net to help you see what i'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
                would you want to clear coat over the decals? or just leave them as is?

are they movable- if i don't like the positioning, kind of thing?
                You can clear coat over them. The decal on the tank is clear coated. As for moving, not without destroying the decal or at the least, destroying the glue.
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

I've used frisket for airbrushing, sounds like what you are talking about. It's kinda of a pain on round or odd surfaces, but great on flat. You ahve to remask alot ornate designs though. Just don't dig the xacto into what ever you are painting when you cut it.

Comment

Check out Mickey Harris's website. World renowed airbrush artist. Went to one of his seminars. He makes a stuff called "Sticky Mickeys" that is a replacement for the masking tape I used to use. But it is not for a fine line, masking only. I have used low-tack vinyl many times with no problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X