Looking for a Specific Paint Color

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Specific Paint Color

Hey guys,
    I'm more of a silent member, But I don't see anything on the forums about a specific paint color I'm looking for so I figured I'd ask the experts here at Katriders.

I painting my 02' Katana 600, used to be Factory Yellow, I'm looking for changing color similar to the House of Kolor Kamelon Paint. I want it to be Gunmetal and Electric Blue. So when your looking directly at it it looks electric blue and fades to gunmetal.

for the blue If you've seen the old Civic Si's that kinda the color blue I'm looking for.

For the gunmetal I want it to be a medium shade.

I've read all the great HOWTO's and everything here on how to prep the bike and actually most the prep is done. But I can't seem to find the color I'm looking for anywhere on the internet.

If I can't get the color changing paint I was thinking of doing a Gunmetal with Electric blue flake so when the sun hits it just right you might think you saw some blue.

The bike will have Electric blue accents all over. Still deciding exactly where but any suggestions and help on the paint color is greatly appriciated.

I have a spray gun and although I don't have any experience mixing paint I'm willing to try anything to get this unique color.

Thanks.

Nic

Go to your local paint shop where you will be buying the paint from, get the color code of the SI blue and bring a sample of the gunmetal color you want. They will be able to help you the best, and you'll be buying from them anyways.

The color code I think you're looking for is B-95P. That's the 99-00 Civic si blueish/purpleish color.

This one right?

Last edited by reconstyle; 03-11-2008, 06:33 PM.
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Hey thanks for the response. I actually went to my local paint shop on saturday "Mattos" Apparently it's the best in the DC area. But when I asked for this specific color they pretty much gave me the books of paint chips and said have at it. Plus they only sell Dupont paints. I'm not sure if that means I can't get what I'm looking for from them or not but it seems they only deal in one kind of paint and when I described what I wanted they just said pick what you like from these chips. There were a ton of shades but they werent much help.

Nic

Comment

They can color match. Give them the codes and they'll do a color match with whatever paint brand they carry.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I think often times to get the desired effect may require a special primer, and potentially several base coats.

Make sure you do all the math on the cost of paint.... I mean... do you really want to spend $1500 on paint?

I did the Kat with colorrite paint, and I think I spend about $250 on materials.... I think it came out looking pretty good.

-Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Nic, have you ever seen this chameleon colour combination or is this just something that you'd like to see?

Not saying it can't be done, but to be honest with you, you are talking about a pretty complex paint job. If you want it that flashy, your better off taking it to a professional to have them paint it for you. Not trying to be discouraging at all, but the paint you have described is a difficult paintjob even for a seasoned veteran, let alone someone that has never even mixed paint before.

You may want to tstart off with something a little more basic. Just my 2 cents.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

That paint job sounds extremely complex. I'd say your best bet is talking to a painter in your area with a good rep and tell him your idea, and see what he thinks.

Comment

Last time I priced the kind of paint your talking about, the cameleon type colors, they were between $35 and $45 and ounce. Not cheap even if you did it all yourself. And I have never seen the color combination that you are talking about, unless your just talking about a fade, not actually cameleon type paint.

Comment

Working...
                X