X

BEST flat black set-up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST flat black set-up?

Hey What's everyones HO about the best way to paint flat black? Brands of products, primer/filler, type of black, type of finish or top coat (if any)etc.

I still can't decide if I'm going flat black, or if I'm rattle canning mostly silver with black bellypan/mudgaurd and racing strip down the middle of the tank. Might throw in some red pin stripes in there somewhere, too, but I'm trying to not get carried away

At least all I need to do right now is sand, sand, sand....

Thanks!
    Big thrills and no spills

Dont go flat, go semi matte. Flat will show evry little nick to rub, semi matte will hide more but look very similar.

Comment

Do you clear over it?

Comment

no
        Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

yes, you can clear flat black. you just need to use a 'flattener'. DuPont sells it, I believe HOK sells something similar as well.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Yes you use a flat clear with it. The biggest problem with flat black is if you get a dust nib or orange or a run in the clear you cant wetsand and polish it out. cuz then it will be glossy.
            Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
            www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

"Yes you use a flat clear with it. The biggest problem with flat black is if you get a dust nib or orange or a run in the clear you cant wetsand and polish it out. cuz then it will be glossy."

is it the same if you go semi matte?
              Big thrills and no spills

Comment

yes, same result zack. with the dupont flattener, you control how flat you want it, since it is added to the clear, so you may want to go that route if you don't find anything you like straight from the can...

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Murder that badboy out. Flat black is the way to go.

Comment

i murder everything on 2 wheels i own. lol

Rustoleum rust tough semi-glass black is the best flat/semi flat paint you can get outta a spray can, i've tryed many flats outta cans' and guns and this one seems to always come out the best.

got a lil semiflat on my kat.

ninja

scoot

Comment

Hey I wanna see a full pic of that bug. Is that flat black on that too?
                      Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                      www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

I read somewhere on KR that Duplicolor was highly recommended.
                        -
                        -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

the bug isn't flat just mulicolored, i'll take some pics when i get home from work.

Comment

I'm guessin that bug is a 65 or 66....

Comment

lol deff. close enough for the shots you looked at. it's a 67 with 66(or european) fenders.

Comment

Working...
                              X