X

Stupid missing fairing tabs...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid missing fairing tabs...

Ok, I'm restoring a early Kat-ish bike for my girlfriend and on the side plastics, about half of the tabs that fit into the rubber grommets are missing. Now, I already have all of the assorted cracks fixed with MEK but I still need to find a source for some ABS tabs to replace the missing ones. Anyone have any ideas?

You mean the clips? Find a bolt store that carrys all sorts of bolts not a homedepot, a specialty store. they should have some, if not u can buy it from the dealer, i think they charge about $1-$2 a piece.

Comment

Nah, I wasn't referring to the re-usable trim clips like the ones under the headlights on the 98+ Kats. I was referring to the solid posts like the ones that attach the side plastics to the tank on our Kats.

Comment

I'm still confused.... is something broken off of the fairings that you have?

Or are you talking about the rubber grommets with posts?
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If I'm getting the drift of what he's saying, some of the tabs are broken off the back side of the fairing.
          Going to have to custom mold those or find another wrecked fairing to steal them off of. What year?
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Wht not just mount them with dzus fasteners??

Comment

you could use an epoxe and build the tabs back up. shape em and your ready to go. Another thought would be to use a screw with a head the same size as the original tab. That may work as well.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Try a local pepboys, some car tabs might work.

Comment

I know the tabs you are talking about. You mean like the solid posts coming out of the tail fairings at the front right? Those will need to either a) be superglued on with weekly prayer rituals to keep them there, b) you can attempt to do plastic welding to get them on there (assuming you still have the posts), or your best bet is c) just find new fairings assuming you want a clean look and don't want to drill a hole and use a bolt/nut setup.

Comment

I have made the posts many times using the permatex plastic epoxy weld.
                    The hardest part is lining everything to make sure they are centered properly, however they usually break off and leave a trace of where they were and it's still not too hard to figure out.

Start by just making a strait post small enough to fit into the gromets without any force. Then build it up, grove it out and add the pointed tip.

the larger the base the better and make sure you grind down the plastic or sand it with 60 grit paper first at least an inch around the base of where the post os to be mounted for the epoxy to adhear to
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                    X