X

Painting My bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ras View Post
    ok ran into another problem first time we had this happen.

[ATTACH]8956[/ATTACH]

any idea on what happened here?
    Chemical reaction between previous coat and primer/base coat.

The sprayed pieces look good.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

yeah we found out that there was a reaction between the fiberglass resin and one of the previous coats. when we sanded it down it was like a lottery ticket just scratched right off. It was wierd though it didn't do that on all pieces. oh well water under the bridge.
      02' Katana 600
      D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Ok I got some more pix this time there are some pix of my panels in there. So lemme know what you guys think I think I did pretty good considering the workspace we have and the lack or knowledge.

DSC00713.JPG

DSC00715.JPG

DSC00716.JPG

DSC00718.JPG

DSC00719.JPG

Ok these are the ones I am most proud of this was the crucial line I had to paint. So tell me what you guy think.
        DSC00724.JPG

DSC00725.JPG

DSC00726.JPG
        02' Katana 600
        D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Looks great.

What kind of workspace did you use? Garage? Temp Spray Booth?

what kind of paint / gun did you use?

Comment

we worked in a very cramped makeshift paint both when I say makeshift it was 4mil plastic stapled to the ceiling with 2X4's at the bottom to keep it on the ground. and the workspace was like 7' X 9'. Very dusty in there we had alotta trouble with keeping the dust down. had some trouble with temperature at first we used a 150k salamander to heat. Can't remember name brand or Paint but we got it from locate body shop supply company. and the gun was a gravity feed pnuematic gun.
            02' Katana 600

Comment

Nice job, whatever the paint or workspace considerations.
              No bleed through on the line there at all, looks perfect, you should be happy and proud with the way they turned out.
              "Screaming Eagle" = Harley dealer code for "Easily parts with money, and equates noise with performance."
              -----------------------------------------
              2004 Suzuki GSXF 600
              1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
              1977 Suzuki GS 400

Comment

Oh I am beyond stoked I took pix and sent texts to all my buddies.
                02' Katana 600

Comment

Looks nice Ras. I just painted mine today. Used a metallic gun metal for the uppers and a metallic black for the lower pieces.

Both metallics had gold flakes in them to bring the gun metal and black together. Plus it flickers in sunlight too.

Comment

that sounds sweet you need to get some pics so we can see
                    02' Katana 600

Comment

When I pick it back up, I'll take some pics. I left it at my friend's since the clear hadnt dried yet and I didnt want to get completely high on the fumes with it in the trunk of the car either.

How many coats of clear did you use?

We only did 2 coats of base and 2 coats of clear since the paint and clear prob costs more than the bike is worth.

Comment

I did about 3 wet coats of base and 2 coats of 3 wet coats of clear. (if that makes any sense)

what were your coast on paint we got about 180 in just paint, primer, clear and filler.
                        Last edited by ras; 02-23-2008, 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        02' Katana 600

Comment

It didnt actually cost me anything since my friend paints planes. His work "sponsored" the primer, paint, thinner, hardener, clear, cleaner, tack cloth, etc....

We used aircraft grade paint and clear.

It was kind of a mod day at his house. We installed headers on another friends car between coats.

Here's a pic my friend took after the first coat of silver/gray.
                          Attached Files

Comment

those look really good man
                            02' Katana 600

Comment

Thanks. There's some contaminates in the paint since we decided to use his car trailer as a paint platform instead of driving to the paint booth, but I wasnt overly concerned as it's a 18 yr old bike and the new paint is probably nicer than what it had on it new.

Comment

the paint jobs are looking good, keep it up
                                myspace
                                2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                                X