X

Spray Paint How to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray Paint How to?

Hey, i just went to a paint shop today and they wanted $1200.00 for the paint job. That is $700.00 more than i paid for the bike and about as much as a the bike is worth according to KBB.

Can anyone point to a good spray paint how-to cause i've searched and cant find anything.

Thanks.

Long Live the D

Comment

Also look here:

There are a few more topics that would help. Look through Mojoe's posts for those.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

mojoe's topics are all mostly on spray gun stuff....

Which costs about the same as a good rattle can job as long as you already have a compressor, and IMO looks 100x better...
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Mojoe's is just as pertinent to a rattle can job. You're still going to get orange peel from a spray can.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

I tell ever person whos is looking to do it thier self the go to

You can learn more than you can here just by browsing. A quick summary of what you need is...

1- spray gun (home depot 40 bucks)
            2- compressor
            3- sandpaper in multipule grits 150 to 700 or so.
            4- self etching primer on bare metal or 2k primer/sealer on plastics or scuffed paint
            5- single stage paint for beginners

Maybe i'll make a more in detail thread to help out.
            2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

I was able to paint my bike for a total of $150 in materials, primer, base, clear, reducers/hardeners, sandpaper and a cheap HVLP gun. It took me a total of a month to prep and make a few minor repairs. It would've only taken about 2 weeks total if I had my own compressor but I had a friend with one help me out so I had to work around his schedule also. It was a lot of work but it was the best money that I've put into the bike. If you have the willingness to do it and a few tools it isn't that hard of a job it just takes a bit of time and patients. It would cost about the same for a bunch of cans of spray paint and the finished product will look better and be more durable.

2002 Katana 600
              1999 Ford F150

Comment

okey, i know that a regular (piston) compressor is oiled to keep pressure, how do you keep oil from comming up the line and getting into your spray? this seems like the reason why buying a gun/compressor combo is not cost effective since the paint job will be weak.

Comment

Working...
                X