• Show
Clear All

• carbon fiber look

Hey guys.
    I want to paint my katana.
    Today I was browsing ebay and
    came across this http://stores.ebay.com/MetroSellers-Vinyl-Express
    What do you think? Instead of painting
    just to use the vinyl. Seems to be cheaper also.

Cheaper yes, but it will be painfully obvious that you have simply laid down some fake CF vinyl on top of your plastics. Just my opinion, but I think fake CF stuff almost always looks stupid.

If you want to go cheap, there are some good rattle can techniques up on the forum. I haven't done any painting yet, but I'm sure a bunch of sandpaper and spray cans are going to be way cheaper than sending your plastics off to a body shop.

Comment

Me personally, I like the CF look, but not the whole bike, and the real CF,.. Plus you'll be able to tell its a tape job.. Not to mention, what if you hit a rock, or get some scratches in the tape. It would look like crap all peeled up in spots..

But if yer into it and like it. I'd go for it. I mean it is your bike afterall..!!

just my 2ç..

Comment

Re: carbon fiber look

Originally posted by linix
        Hey guys.
        I want to paint my katana.
        Today I was browsing ebay and
        came across this http://stores.ebay.com/MetroSellers-Vinyl-Express
        What do you think? Instead of painting
        just to use the vinyl. Seems to be cheaper also.
        Are you old enough to remember the old station wagons with the "wood grain" vinyl on the sides? It looked horrible even straight out of the factory. I have to think that vinyl "carbon fibre" would be similar in appearance on such a grand scale. Maybe it would look ok if you did small parts (mirrors, heel guards etc.).

My $0.02 worth. As stated before tho, if you like, then have at it. It's your ride. Just not my thing I guess.
        I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

Are you old enough to remember the old station wagons with the "wood grain" vinyl on the sides? It looked horrible even straight out of the factory.
          Yea. Exactly what I was thinking. I remember them wagons, uncle had one.. Even the trim was wrapped in that stuff... Kinda reminds me of the Griswolds station wagon.. that green looking thing.. Wasnt it called a Ford Country Squire, or something liek that.. ??

Comment

Originally posted by AzCyco
            Are you old enough to remember the old station wagons with the "wood grain" vinyl on the sides? It looked horrible even straight out of the factory.
            Yea. Exactly what I was thinking. I remember them wagons, uncle had one.. Even the trim was wrapped in that stuff... Kinda reminds me of the Griswolds station wagon.. that green looking thing.. Wasnt it called a Ford Country Squire, or something liek that.. ??
            The family truckster

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

First time I saw that vinyl I thought "What a great idea!" Then I thought about why carbon fiber IS so pretty. It has depth which gives it texture. This vinyl print won't. Unless the print itself is attractive (and it seems to photograph well in the advertisements) I'd be worried about getting a really "fake" look that TRIED to look like carbon fiber but failed.

You could stretch that across your seat, though. That would be cool.
              It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X