X

is clear coat necessary?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah,
    I used both Krylon paint and clear coat. Same products. It came out very spotty. Maybe the weather? I am going to use a sander this time to save some time and try Duplicolor.
    The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

sorry,
      duplicate post
      The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

Comment

I really think that I should be able to put on clear on a dry coat of paint. It is plastic, not a metal tank, so it should stick. no?
        Maybe it was the way I put the clear on. Put 4 coats on within and hour. Not sure if each coat was supposed to dry before you put the other one on.

Comment

We used duplicolor spray cans (about 3 coats) 30 minute dry time in between, fine sanded (600 grit), then let it sit for a day. Came back and clear coated about 6 times. Started at one end, by the time we got to the other, we could wait about 5-10 minutes, then restart took about 2 hours to do it all those times. Parts were hazy at the end, had them professionally wetsanded/buffed out, then they shined like new.

Comment

do I have to prime the fender everytime I start over or can the undercoat of paint be enough?
            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by newride
              do I have to prime the fender everytime I start over or can the undercoat of paint be enough?
              thanks
              look.....if you keep piling paint upon clear upon paint...etc, etc, you are going to end up with a mess. I can almost garantee it.
              first of all, paint is pretty much "alive" up to 3, even 4 weeks after it seems dry. it is still curing and settling until all the reducer is completely evaporated out of the paint. so if you had a reaction before, it is possible it will happen again. and it can take several days for it to happen.

save yourself alot of headache.....strip it right down to the plastic and prime it with high-build primer. then paint it with whatever it is your are painting it with. try to get it right this time. if you can't get it right, pack it all in a box....the fender, paint, primer and clear......then ship it all to me and I will do it for free. I would rather "donate" my time to do it for free than see you waste $100+ on a fender.

I am not trying to sound condescending, but painting can turn into a nightmare when things go bad......so starting from scratch is usually the only safe way to go.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Wow,
                That is very nice of you Mojoe to offer. I am starting to see what you mean about having a mess. I may have to take you up on that, as I have already spent at least $40-$50 on just paint experiments. I will sand it down again and let you know.
                Thanks again,
                Newride

Comment

Jermey......did you get my pm? your fender is done.

Comment

Wow,
                    I can't believe that is the same fender! NIce work Mojoe!
                    PM'd you the details of my address.
                    Thanks man,
                    Jeremy

Comment

wow man that thing looks amazing for spray paint! i think i will just ship all my plastic to you to paint lol. i am in the process of painting my whole bike becasue my buddy knocked it on its side the other night : ( ive never had good results with spray paint however.. that looks great though!

Comment

can u pm me exact details on how you did that? i would really like mine to turn out as great as that. i would really appreciate it!

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FlatBlackKat
                          can u pm me exact details on how you did that? i would really like mine to turn out as great as that. i would really appreciate it!

thanks
                          spray with primer (received it stripped down)
                          sand primer smooth with 600 wet.
                          spray base
                          spray clear
                          let cure for 24hrs
                          polish

I didn't give it 100% my attention because the bike it is going on has older paint. too nice and it would stand out too much, imho. kinda like putting a brand new fender on a 10yr old car with faded paint.

Comment

when you say polish what exactly is all involved with that? do i need a buffer? and what do u use to polish it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              Jermey......did you get my pm? your fender is done.
                              that wasnt a rattle can job tho, was it?
                              99 YZF600R with 03 R6 fairing, headlights & mirrors, Sportech Blue Chrome Windscreen, D&D can,
                              OES Frame sliders, MotoTeck smoked front turns, CBR 954rr Smoked Integrated Tail
                              and 14T Front/49T Rear w/ DID X Ring Chain

1993 Zuki Katana 600 $500 project bike

Comment

Originally posted by FlatBlackKat
                                when you say polish what exactly is all involved with that? do i need a buffer? and what do u use to polish it?
                                this is how I do it. yes, you need a buffer. it would take you a decade to do it by hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X