X

RATTLE CAN METHOD

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RATTLE CAN METHOD

IM PAINTING MY LOWER FAIRING WHITE AND WHILE ON MY SECON COAT THE CAN STARTED SPITTING SO NOW IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE WHITE GRAINS OF SAND IN THE PAINT. WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN THIS COAT DRIES TO REMOVE THE SPACKLE SPOTS SO I CAN CONTINUE FINISHING MY PROJECT. AND I HAVE A FEW SMALL RUNS. SO HOW DO I FIX THIS WITHOUT STARTING ALL OVER.
    JANGALIZZLE

Wet sand with probably 400-600 grit paper.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

And take your caps lock off.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
        Wet sand with probably 400-600 grit paper.
        close!

let it dry good first.....say 36 to 48 hours, unless you are using basecoat clearcoat, which you can sand off emmediately. if you are just using enamal, there is a chance that you could just clog up your sandpaper because the paint hasn't set. If you hadn't waited and removed it right away, you could have wiped it down with some reducer to clean it off.

use 280-320 grit and sand out all the "speckles" that you have. The reason I suggest this is just to save time. Then go over it with 400 DRY.....then 600 wet. The reason I suggest using 400 dry is because you can easier see how the sanding in progressing. Wet makes a mess, so you can miss spots just cuz you don't see it like you should....or until you clean it off. Again, this is a "time" thing. If you calculate cleaning the part each time you want to check it into the equation, it is just faster and easier to dry sand. FYI....400 dry is plenty good enough for most colors and there is no need to create more mess by wet sanding. I rarely sand with 600 unless I am spraying a really dark color like black which is less forgiving on sanding marks. Just remember, the finer you sand, the less adhesion you have. You should NEVER apply your base over primer that has been sanded with anything finer than 600...and even then, that is a bit too fine, imho. Doing so can result in your paint flaking off from the primer.
        So if you really want to wet sand, do it at the very end just to smooth it up. Don't wetsand for the whole process......or else you are just working in a messy environment longer than you have to.

and so you know, the speckles you have is likely cuz you were spraying the last of the paint left in the can. NEVER use a rattle can completely because as it starts to go empty, it will do just what happen with your bike.
        If the can was not empty, clean the nozzle. If you do need to use the "bottom" of the can because you only have a bit left to do and don't feel like buying another, shake it really well, then stomp on it. I am serious....put it on the floor and cave the side in. This decreases the volume inside the can, which in turn increases the internal pressure. It will help you get more paint out of the can without getting the splatters. Just don't cave the can in so much that you can't use it after.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
        X