X

Bitten by the Bling bug !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitten by the Bling bug !

Picked up a polishing kit today. $36 at Princess Auto and had a go at the sprocket cover (easy to hide if I farged it up) to see what I could. You can see the casting flash in spots, it really should have been wet sanded first for best results. Anyway not too bad, the other covers will get wet sanded first with 600 grit, then polished to a mirror shine. This one still needs to be buffed out with white diamond compound.

More pics here http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/Astro4x4/Katana/
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Looks pretty good. I have thought about doing this myself, but am a little worried about rust. Correct me if I am wrong but there is no protection from rust on polished parts. Won't aeration eventuallt take place?

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

you can clear coat em

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Yep, can even powdercoat clear them. I'm going to try Por 15 - Glisten PC
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Aluminum doesn't rust.

Originally posted by BlackburnD
          Looks pretty good. I have thought about doing this myself, but am a little worried about rust. Correct me if I am wrong but there is no protection from rust on polished parts. Won't aeration eventuallt take place?
          Bike is sold

Comment

It does, won't get orange but dark-grey so two options are left either wax it regularly or clearcoat it.

Comment

I didn't know oxidization was the same as rust.
              Rust will eat metal away. But aluminum just greys and pits if left long enough. Hmmm. Yes maybe it is the same. Sorry.

Originally posted by kwebbel
              It does, won't get orange but dark-grey so two options are left either wax it regularly or clearcoat it.
              Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Spedee
                I didn't know oxidization was the same as rust.
                Rust will eat metal away. But aluminum just greys and pits if left long enough. Hmmm. Yes maybe it is the same. Sorry.
                Aluminum creates it's own protective layer of aluminum oxide...but aluminum oxide doesn't bling!
                93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

after you polish it use zoop seal

Comment

looks nice. Ive been thinking about doing that
                    "Muck, what part of "Thou shall not" didn't you understand?" GOD

Comment

Ok... Now not to be facetious, but if you polish then powder coat with a clear coat why not just get it chromed? In the end wouldn't it cost about the same, and be more blinged? I know it is a different look, but I guess I'm just trying to figure out which way I wanna go with this when I do mine.

Comment

looks real nice
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by BlackburnD
                          Ok... Now not to be facetious, but if you polish then powder coat with a clear coat why not just get it chromed? In the end wouldn't it cost about the same, and be more blinged? I know it is a different look, but I guess I'm just trying to figure out which way I wanna go with this when I do mine.
                          Not sure about pricing on chrome, but I imagine it's more than PC. It still needs to be polished to some extent before chroming. For me, it's two things - pride in workmanship and building a nice bike relatively inexpensively. Polishing does take some time, so beer and a stereo are a must.
                          2000 Katana 600
                          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I guess that makes sense. If you gotta polish it all up to send it out to be chromed then I understand how this would be more cost effective. Thanks for the 411. I may have to do this myself.

Comment

Working...
                            X