X

Questions about gash/tank repair

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about gash/tank repair

Hey guys, I first was looking at getting a Katana as my first bike but i couldnt afford a 98+ at the time so i went for a ninja 500 but now i am back looking at a 98 Katana =D.

the bike has a few problems tho. There are three big (semi-deep i guess) gashes from a drop at about 20 mph on the right main fairing. my question is , can this be repaired or should the fairing be replaced? what is the typical price for a fairing and to get it painted (assuming i possibly do some prep work myself) at a bodyshop?

Also, the tank has like 3 spots in front of the fuel door where the metel seems wavy and uneven. the paint is chipped there and verry little rust is present (this is in AZ so minimal but still present) and it looks like it could have been a cheap repair. I want it looking smooth and looking like new. How much do you think that would be either through a bodyshop or buying a new tank and getting the paint matched?

Overall, I think that fixing all these damages doesnt seem worth it but i dunno, if the cost is resonable then i might consider it.

Here is a pic with circled sections of where the gashes are. Typical place for it to scratch.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is the section where the gas tank is "dented". Also, the petcock had paint that was crumbled (like ridges) so i assume thats from leaking fuel.
      Attached Files

Comment

Plastic can be fixed , yeah . Not too hard to do if you listen to some people . I'd go with that , since your damage is minimal .
        The tank .... well , it CAN be done , but it'd be better for you to probably send it out to be done , or just try to find another if it bothers you so much . Can't really see the damage to the tank from the pic , though .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

He is offering 2900. but he definatly agreed to lower the price to get the fairing and tank fixed.

He is sending it to a shop to install a new chain/sprocket plus a "full service" (not sure what that entails...).

Other problems on the bike is it will need a front tire, possible kickstand sensor (might be fixed tho), rear brakes possibly as well, im assuming it need a valve adjustment/ carb cleaning too.

The bike has 14.5k miles. what do you think should be my offer?

oh and the tank well looks ugly with the chipped paint and all haha but what worries me is exposed metal and rust forming. And if im getting it repainted, then might as well get it fixed.

OH! and it has what looks like a gutted stock exhaust and it has a big dent towards the front of it.

Comment

2K would be my highest offer.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
            X