X

painting and clearcoat question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting and clearcoat question

I am going to paint the bike on Monday now that my cawl is here (finally)and I was wondering how many coats of paint should I apply to the bike? How long after the bike is painted do I have to wait before it can be clearcoated and how many coats should I apply?

Lou??

And what clear coat is gas proof?

Comment

i think the number of coats is a preference thing. i did three coats on mine. if you're doing the rattle can thing, there'll be instructions on how long to wait between coats. there should also be instructions on the paint can when to apply the clearcoat.

polyurethane is one gas resistant clear coat. not sure if there are other kinds, and i don't believe dupli-color makes one.

Long Live the D

Comment

I always pour my gas with a piece of paper towl anound the gas nosile so that gas does't spill on the tank.

I am buying a 1/4 of clean coat from NAPA, I guess I will try for 3 coats, but how long after I put the paint on do I have to wait before I can spray the clear coat?

Comment

The clear or the paint should say how long to wait. With mine, the paint had to be dry to the touch, which was 20 minutes. That was with the duplicolor clear.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

When I paint cars and when I painted my bike with PPG I spray however many coats needed for good coverage. Then let the paint flash up for about 15 minutes and go right into the clear. If you are spraying all pieces at once by the time you get done putting your last coat of base on the last piece go clearcoat the first piece you started with. With my Kat I only put like 3 coats on the plastic and 4 on the tank. Hope this helps. Oh BTW I wasnt using a rattle can if it makes a difference I was using a spray gun.
            Project Katana

1998 Katana 600

Comment

if you get single stage paint, you dont need clear coat. you just put gloss hardener in the paint and activator and you are set.. by the way , how long did you have to wait on your cowl? when did you order it? i ordered mine on apr 11th and still havent gotten. really starting to get aggravated!!!

Comment

I ordered mine on March 16, and got it almost 3 months later. Trust me it was worth the wait!

Comment

cool, at least you didnt tell me you ordered it after me. you are making me feel better now

Comment

Working...
                  X