X

Stupid tire question...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid tire question...

I'm an old guy riding an old bike - all GS machines and never owned a radial tire.

So tell me, is it acceptable to have a bias-ply Metzler Lasertec on the rear & a radial Shinko 011 Verge on the front? Or should I couple the rear with an Avon roadrider AM26 instead?

Just starting discover the sins on this project pick-up 750F kat and I see the front tire has circumfrential cracks around essentially the entire tire, so I was looking at the Verge as a low cost replacement until I noticed it was a radial and wasn't sure you could mix & match??

Definitely not, don't mix tire types.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Definitely not, don't mix tire types.
      Yeah, that's what I was thinking... the Roadrider seems to fit the bill, but I've had issues in the past with these tires cracking pretty much out of the box, so I'm assuming they've fixed that.

Comment

If you are looking for a decent tire for not too much money you might check into Continental Conti Motion Sport tires for both front & rear. Got them for my '95 600 for just over $200, installed. Been long lasting for me, but then I do't ride all that aggressive yet.

Or just get the matching Shinko rear, about the same cost as the Conti.
        Last edited by skjeflo; 04-24-2015, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
          If you are looking for a decent tire for not too much money you might check into Continental Conti Motion Sport tires for both front & rear. Got them for my '95 600 for just over $200, installed. Been long lasting for me, but then I do't ride all that aggressive yet.

Or just get the matching Shinko rear, about the same cost as the Conti.
          A Metzler Lasertec that’s looks very good, aside that it’s almost 5 years old, currently inhabits the rear. I just want to replace the "shot" front tire for the short term.

I looked at the matching Metzler for a front replacement, but don't like the look of it. The Roadrider looks like it matches the Metzler best (aesthetically). I think that’s the frontrunner now.

I’ve run two sets of Shinko 230’s on my GS1100E and have been happy with them, but like you, I’m not a knee dragger for sure… Good tire for the money, but their longevity could be better.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            A Metzler Lasertec that’s looks very good, aside that it’s almost 5 years old, currently inhabits the rear. I just want to replace the "shot" front tire for the short term.

I wouldn't ride on those... Even the "looks very good" tire is going to be hard as a rock and like riding on a glass wheel. It's not a matter of how "hard" you ride either. Simple things like braking quickly due to an unexpected situation, can change from a simple movement to "why am I sliding down the road!?!".

I understand not wanting to be wasteful, but your not. Your saving your skin and your bike but putting decent rubber on those wheels.

Also, the suggestion on the Contis... excellent low budget choice that will still give you great traction and wear for the costs.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              I wouldn't ride on those... Even the "looks very good" tire is going to be hard as a rock and like riding on a glass wheel. It's not a matter of how "hard" you ride either. Simple things like braking quickly due to an unexpected situation, can change from a simple movement to "why am I sliding down the road!?!". Krey
              Thanks for the input. Yes, I understand about old, hard rubber. However, I'm not sure I'm keeping this bike & may very well turn this one around after I fix it up & get her running. Starting the carb clean process this weekend hopefully, then brake caliper & MC rebuilds, electrical sorting-out & then we'll see where that all goes!!

Comment

I ask the dealership parts guy and he told me I shouldn't run radial on my bike, is that true or can I run radial?

Comment

Originally posted by tundra2000 View Post
                  I ask the dealership parts guy and he told me I shouldn't run radial on my bike, is that true or can I run radial?
                  Yes, you can run radial if both are radial.

Radial is by far much safer and better performing for ANY motorcycle in most all circumstances with very few and rare exceptions.

Your description of what the "dealership parts guy" said... has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I would guess it's based upon "original recommended equipment"... cause when the bike was new bias-ply was the primary tires avail and was was recommended. Technology has improved. Better options are available.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X