X

1 down 2 up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 down 2 up?

Has anyone done 1 down in the front 2 up in the rear? I was told just going two up in the rear would probably be good enough and to leave the front alone..
    suggestions?

To my understanding going down in the front causes excess wear on the sprocket and is a bad idea.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

+1. No lower than 14 tooth
      use the link in my signature the find the ratio you want.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-24-2015, 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I tried using the website but I was more so just looking for someone to help me with some personal experience in the matter. How much top end did you lose by going 2 up? I've pretty much maxed out my stock gear set going around 220kph - dont know the math to make that MPH, just curious about an approximation on how bad I'll loose top end.

What about you guys who have gone 1 or 2 down for highway? how much more top end did you get?

Comment

1 kph = .6214 mph so 220kph = 136mph, which were a KAT will be. Answer this, what are you looking for, more speed or more take off. Stock is a mix of both, average if you will. 15/50 is a popular combo. The site does have a metric feature.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

well I thought having a peppier bike would be more fun with the two up on the rear, but having some more speed on the highway would be cool too.. *sigh* idk! I guess i can always try 2 up for a while and then if i dont like it change it.

Comment

The real question is what kind of roads do you have to ride on?

I use a 15/50 setup on my pre 750 because almost 95% of my riding is really curvy with elevation changing roads. Nothing is flat or straight for the most part.

For that, the 15/50 setup is awesome. Reduced the shifting, gave a bit more pep when I wanted...

Long straight flat roads... like highways or Interstates... It pretty well sucks.

Simple check if the 15/50 setup would work for you... Never use 6th gear. If that bothers you... you don't wanna do it. The gearing change in essence makes every gear feel like it's one gear lower. (I can start from a stand still in 2nd gear with no issues).

The bike will still go over 100mph easy enough... I just don't need it to as I won't do that. So the top end speed loss = no effect for me, I never use it.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

SO I ended up buying a 14 front 48 rear. They apparently couldn't get a 50. The Chain is a RK RX-Ring Chain and the gears are both SunStar. I told them I didn't wanna cheap out and so I feel like these are the best they had! How'd I do!?

Comment

GSXFJim can make you the 50t sprocket.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

wheeeeeeeeeelie wheeeeeeeeeee
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

RK is supposed to be a good brand. I've had sunstar sprockets that looked great when I swapped them out at 41k miles. Lube often and those should last pretty well. Lube extra often because you went down a tooth up front.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                      X