X

Anyone on PR4's yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone on PR4's yet?

It will be interesting how many more miles I will get on my PR3's I am at 7,000 miles. The 4's rear outer compound is now a medium compound. Anyone riding on the new 4 rear and can give a comparison from the PR3?

its a completely new profile with different behaviour. and in the beginning it didnt seem like too much difference but it is. I went with the standard edition but next tire will be the GT edition. standard is too sluggish on track when there is a sudden change in direction
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I've got a PR 4 up front and a PR 3 in the rear. Rear was installed December, have put 13000 miles on it, mostly super slab commuting. Lots of time spent riding in the rain. Still lots of tread left, have never lost traction with it.
      Front was installed in February, 10k miles on it. Again, still lots of tread left and have never lost traction, and seen a fair amount of wet riding.
      Both tires are just starting to show signs of squaring off - considering how I ride 100 miles a day of superslab, this is pretty impressive. If you get to go on fun rides/twisties more frequently, they'll go much further before this happens.
      I LOVE these tires. Rear will get swapped to a PR4 when it wears out. I've had the 2,3, and 4 (4 only up front so far) and have loved each more and more.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I was hoping for at least 10,000 miles but I'm not sure I'll get there. I am running 33psi front and 36psi rear.
        Super slab = (_)
        Twisty roads = \/
        My tires look like \_/. Getting some interesting turn ins. Nearing wear bars in the middle and sides. The edges and transition areas still have good tread depth.

Comment

Got them, haven't had the time to ride. Too hot, too windy not so much the wind but, the sand is everywhere on the roads.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

you can go higher than that without loosing traction
            36 front 40 rear is what I use both on and off track
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
              I go 36f, 39r. Street only for me.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post

That's pretty close to what I normally run as well, with no issues with aggressive riding here in the MTNs.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Running a PR4 set for about 7,000 miles now. Do alot of commuting in suburbs and been a tag-along on two harley/cruise rides and four sportbike (more twisty) rides, haven't done a bunch of backroads however.

Tires show absoloutly no tread wear, does have a light tread line right at the sidewall of each tire. Front has chicken strips (rear doesn't...?) Typical Missouri weather (pouring one minute, sunny the next) and has held up beautifully and have never had to ask for traction in any conditions. Definitely gives confidence to changing conditions and demands placed upon it.

Went over some of that small gravelsand in a corner and I was sure I was toast but I glided right over it.

No complaints, and if they last as long as they're looking like they'll last the tire will be defintely worth the money in longevity's terms.
                  - Purplehaze
                  All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

The tire pressure I'm using may be a contributing factor. Especially a couple of the longer days when it was near 100 degrees and speeds up towards 80mph in places. I am going to try the 36/40 and see how they feel.

Comment

I run 36/42 on my GSXR, running the PP2ct front and Road 2 rear. No problems with traction even with the lighter weight more powerful bike. My last set of tires lasted right around 16k miles with around 11k of that being cross country superslab rides. Prety much unheard of tread life for most tires on a pure sports type bike.
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
                        It will be interesting how many more miles I will get on my PR3's I am at 7,000 miles. The 4's rear outer compound is now a medium compound. Anyone riding on the new 4 rear and can give a comparison from the PR3?

Done 500 miles so far on PR4s on my 05 750 - they are the best tyres I've ever had. Better ride, lovely handling, I just love them. Recommended.

I had PR3s on the Tiger 1050 I sold, so not really a fair comparison as the Tiger is almost 20 years newer a design than the Kat. Also recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno51 View Post
                          Done 500 miles so far on PR4s on my 05 750 - they are the best tyres I've ever had. Better ride, lovely handling, I just love them. Recommended.

I had PR3s on the Tiger 1050 I sold, so not really a fair comparison as the Tiger is almost 20 years newer a design than the Kat. Also recommended.

Quick update - did another 500 miles at the weekend, to and from and in mid Wales. Biblical rain on the way down there, PR4s were so reassuring in the wet. Saturday pm and all Sunday it was warm and dry, so the fun began - what fantastic tyres, out to the edge on both sides of the rear, not even a millimetre of chicken strip on either side. Recommended without any reservations whatsoever, beat my PB on the A483 between Newtown and Crossgates. My 05 750 Kat has progressive springs and braided hose at the front, but no mods beyond that.

Comment

I have seen peeps take them off with 500 miles and say they will slip out in the rear , just reports i have seen .

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                              I have seen peeps take them off with 500 miles and say they will slip out in the rear , just reports i have seen .
                              That surprises me - perhaps they put them on the wrong bike i.e. one with 170 bhp?

Went out again today to Hadrian's Wall and back, the twisty way,in perfect conditions. Did about 250 miles there and back and really enjoyed myself if you get my meaning. Front and rear never gave a moment's concern - totally planted and confidence giving despite all sorts of provocation......

IMHO you cannot get better tyres than this for a 750 Kat. The only thing I can't comment on is longevity, but personally speaking, for this sort of handling I'd be happy with 8k miles front and 5k miles rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X