Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Michelin Pilot Road 3 rear tire mounting issue... alternatives?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin Pilot Road 3 rear tire mounting issue... alternatives?

I have a 1989 Katana 600 with the original 3-spoke rims. I ordered Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires for the front and back in the sizes I found recommended here: 120/70/17 front (or 110/70/17, I forget already) and 150/70/17 rear

Yesterday I dropped off the wheels for the guys at the store to change the tires. I just got a call from them saying that they can't get the rear tire bead to seat on the rim. I asked if the rim is okay and they say it all looks fine but there's just one part where it won't seat properly. They don't want to keep trying, and they said they aren't allowed to do the fire/explosion trick there.

They suggested ordering different tires in the stock size (110/80/17 front 140/80/17 rear) but the only things I can find in those sizes are bias-ply tires with negative comments about them here on Katriders, like the Dunlop GT501 (which is what I had on the bike before, from the previous owner).

An exception is the bias-ply Michelin Pilot Activ which has a couple of good comments here about its durability.

Should I switch to the Pilot Activ (or something else) or just take my wheels and Pilot Road 3s from this store and bring them to another place and have them try to mount them?

I did not mind the Dunlop GT501s myself and I only use the bike for commuting/shopping/etc., but this is my first and only motorcycle so I have no sense for how good or bad they were, which is why I was hoping to upgrade to something other people say is much nicer.

what kind of useless tire shop is this.....

ive changed about 4-5 sets of pilot road 3 myself on the Nomar tire changer. even 160/60/17 dimension which mushrooms more than yours.

just go to another shop and they will take care of it. nothing special needed here.
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

It's CycleGear haha
      I had my front tire changed there when I first bought the bike about 3 years ago and they put the tire on backwards at first... so maybe I should have learned my lesson then. This is a different location (Pittsburgh PA, previous one was Springfield PA, which I think has now moved to Cherry Hill NJ). The last time I bought gloves, they let me use and return multiple pairs of gloves until I found ones that fit perfectly with no hassle so I thought I would do more business there, but I guess it's better for "Gear" than for tires.

Comment

I would take it somewhere else another thing to try is to put a ratchet strap all they way around the tire and cinch it up. That should help the bead to seat.

Comment

It is the right size tire. Don't swap it.

Yes, go elsewhere to a shop that can handle it. I would expect them to get it mounted.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X