X

chain stretch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain stretch

Can they stretch to the point that some links wont seat on the sprocket fully? My chain is pretty noisy and likely original with just over 14,000 miles ('97 600). I never got around to changing it this winter because the one the previous owner sent with it was junk. My sprockets are still in good shape but i dont think they will for long if i keep riding. Where is a good place to start without hurting the pocketbook as far as price to quality ratio.

Yes, you get what you pay for on chains, RK,EKor DID. Although I'm running a LeMans chain, fair quality. Will be going to x DID x ring.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-19-2014, 02:07 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I had a cheapo Volar chain on my kat last year, and i had a whole section stretch like that. i would say at least 8 links long. When it went around the sprocket it would click down then click when it popped off on the other side to both the front and rear sprocket and it made for a real bad crunching sound. Just put an EK Xring chain on. Only has a couple hundred miles on it but i can already tell a huge difference.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
        I had a cheapo Volar chain on my kat last year, and i had a whole section stretch like that. i would say at least 8 links long. When it went around the sprocket it would click down then click when it popped off on the other side to both the front and rear sprocket and it made for a real bad crunching sound. Just put an EK Xring chain on. Only has a couple hundred miles on it but i can already tell a huge difference.
        That is my exact problem!

Comment

Please change chain immediately! If you think chain and sprockets are expensive, wait till you gave to replace engine covers and parts if it lets go on you while riding..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Yeah ive decided not to ride it anymore until it's replaced. It really spooked me, I just had a 200 mile ride saturday and really noticed it afterwards. Its a good excuse to put on my 4.5 rim and chain adjusters.

Edit: '97 600 takes a 530 pitch 112 link chain, correct?
            Last edited by moodylane; 04-22-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

118 link
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok thanks for the save. Im seeing a lot of conflicting information about chain sizes..

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                  Please change chain immediately! If you think chain and sprockets are expensive, wait till you gave to replace engine covers and parts if it lets go on you while riding..
                  Good advice. I had a chain stretch last year. I was kind of strange, as I do check the chain adjustment fairly often. I adjusted it a little and a week later it was really stretched ... I though that maybe I had messed something up while adjusting and readjusted to take up slack, and soon it's making noise and out of adjustment again. Long story, moral is that once they start going they go quick.

Chris
                  Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
                  Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by moodylane View Post
                    Yeah ive decided not to ride it anymore until it's replaced. It really spooked me, I just had a 200 mile ride saturday and really noticed it afterwards. Its a good excuse to put on my 4.5 rim and chain adjusters.

Edit: '97 600 takes a 530 pitch 112 link chain, correct?
                    Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    118 link
                    Originally posted by moodylane View Post
                    Ok thanks for the save. Im seeing a lot of conflicting information about chain sizes..

You can cut down the 118 link chain, which is what I would suggest... buy large and cut to size, but OEM the pre 600 was 112 links on most bikes. The swingarm is 1.5" shorter than the 750 which used 118 links. So that's 3" total or divided by 5/8" length per link = 4.8 links less... rounded = 5 links less at 112.

This could vary due to there being a variable to the actual sprocket tooth count both put on by OEM or aftermarket. That is why I suggest getting the longer one and cut to length. Same price most likely for the longer chain anyways.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I received my new chain yesterday. I went with the RK RX-ring 118 link. It will fit with no issues even having a 45 tooth rear sprocket. Right now im running a cheap non oring chain until I can afford new sprockets. Ny new question is where can I find a cheap riveting tool that will work a few times before dying. I just dropped a pretty penny on chain and not looking to spend more than $20 on a tool.

Comment

I was just in the same boat with y EK Xring. I want the tool too but was too set back by the chain. I called Harley Davidson Motor City because they were the closest (and most expensive) garage around to get an idea of the cost. The said $40. I called local mom and pop motorcycle repair shop and they said $20. I just said screw it and let the guy put it on and put the chain too on the "buy later" list. If you do go that route, make sure to take the bike straight home (or do it there) but check the mechanics work. Sit on the bike, check chain tension, and measure the rear axle for alignment.
                        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I know what its like for even 5 bucks to be a deal breaker. I'm there now. Cost of parts have been right on the edge sometimes then you see the cost of tools to do it right. Its frustrating but not as frustrating as what happens when your fix fails.

Comment

+1. then your back at square one.
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

you can always use a clip type link and drive to shop and have them install riveted link.
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                              X