X

Looking for DIY on front sprocket change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for DIY on front sprocket change

I need to change the sprockets and chain. Rear sprocket and chain will be easy. What is involved with changing the front sprocket? I don't have a repair manual so a a good DIY write up would be great.

Or you could download a service manual from here:

http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Shop_book

Comment

Download the repair manual, there's a link somewhere on the site.

DO not break the chain until after the front sprocket is changed.

Your gonna need a big socket for the nut on the front sprocket, it's in the manual. Mine was sold with the bike so I can't look it up but IIRC it's something like a 22 or 26+mm nut.

Take off sprocket cover, use impact gun or ratchet with a long handle for the sprocket nut. You leave the chain on so you can either

1) have someone stand on the rear brake
      or
      2) put a 2x4 wrapped in a towel between one of the spokes on the wheel and the rear swing arm

that way the rear wheel via the chain holds the sprocket in place while you try and break the loctite seal.
      Kyle

Comment

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. In reading around the forums it looks like I was one more sucker who bought a Volar chain. I bought it on Epay so there's really no way to return it so I'll run it until it's toast then buy something better.

Comment

Or here:

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108832

Comment

Shouldn't take long. Watch carefully for kinks/stretch. If it snaps on you, new push rod and possibly new sprocket cover and other parts get expensive real fast. I'd recommend greasing the clutch worm gear while youve got the soricket cover off and adjusting the clutch cable afterwards.
            With the service manual as a guide, it's not a hard process, but if you get stuck I also have a post Kat and live in San Jose. Probably have to wait till the weekend if you needed help, but the offer is there.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shodog View Post
              Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. In reading around the forums it looks like I was one more sucker who bought a Volar chain. I bought it on Epay so there's really no way to return it so I'll run it until it's toast then buy something better.

No offense, but would you play Russian roulette with your life normally?

It's seriously not a question of if that volar chain is a danger, it's only a question of when it's going to break and at least damage your bike or worse, hurt you... seriously.

I'd return it. You do have protections through ebay that should make that available as an option.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I jumped the gun last summer and bought a volar chain because it was the first blue one i found on ebay. After I got it I realized that I should have done my due diligence. Im probably going to buy a new chain as soon as i can afford it. Also, the volar chain leaves a red residue all over your rear wheel. I guess they say its the lubricant in the chain or something. Crappy chain... kinda bummed
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                  Also, the volar chain leaves a red residue all over your rear wheel. I guess they say its the lubricant in the chain or something. Crappy chain... kinda bummed
                  Looks like the chains rusting? that's normally a sign that your chain is on the way out since the internal lube is leaking out through the o-rings.

How long before that started?
                  Kyle

Comment

yes it looks like the chain is rusting... kind of, and it gets all over the rear wheel and tire and looks like garbage. I have no doubt that the chain is on its way out. I would say the chain MAYBE lasted 2-3 months before starting to do that. For what its worth, ive been having a hard time finding a happy medium with the tension adjustment. I got a busa shock in my bike and it lowers the swingarm down so far that it will be REAL loose when no one is on it. When i sit on it, its a little better but if i tighten it to the specified tension and put my girl on back the chain is too tight so I have to leave it at like 2 inches of slack instead of 1.25 inches but at the same time, every time I ride two up I gotta adjust my chain. It definitely strectches a little bit every time shes on it. Crappy Crappy Crappy chain. I dont recomend buying one (just like everybody else). Also, from my understanding, yes you are right, its the lube coming out but its not because the orings are bad, its cuz that cheap ass china metal stretches like a pair of womens tights and once it get under pressure it drips out right past the in-tact orings. Volar chain are defintiely made for trailer bikes... lol all those pretty colors are just for looks.
                    Last edited by maniac1886; 03-25-2014, 05:57 PM.
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                      yes it looks like the chain is rusting... kind of, and it gets all over the rear wheel and tire and looks like garbage. I have no doubt that the chain is on its way out. I would say the chain MAYBE lasted 2-3 months before starting to do that. For what its worth, ive been having a hard time finding a happy medium with the tension adjustment. I got a busa shock in my bike and it lowers the swingarm down so far that it will be REAL loose when no one is on it. When i sit on it, its a little better but if i tighten it to the specified tension and put my girl on back the chain is too tight so I have to leave it at like 2 inches of slack instead of 1.25 inches but at the same time, every time I ride two up I gotta adjust my chain. It definitely strectches a little bit every time shes on it. Crappy Crappy Crappy chain. I dont recomend buying one (just like everybody else). Also, from my understanding, yes you are right, its the lube coming out but its not because the orings are bad, its cuz that cheap ass china metal stretches like a pair of womens tights and once it get under pressure it drips out right past the in-tact orings. Volar chain are defintiely made for trailer bikes... lol all those pretty colors are just for looks.
                      have you lubed it?
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

yes I used the DuPont Teflon 11-oz Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. yes and no i guess. Probably not as often as i should have. I would say once or twice a month
                        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

should clean and lube it every 350-400 miles.
                          1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

wow, i did not know that. I commute 50-70 miles to work so when its nice i take the bike. Thats like every three days. haha For what it worth, i think i only put 1500 miles on my bike last summer. Didnt get to ride as much as i wanted to.
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

A top name brand chain kit complete is 185 bucks and dont look back

Comment

Working...
                              X