X

How to remove oil from rear tire.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove oil from rear tire.

Yesterday while changing my oil I apparently did not screw the oil plug in tightly (Stupid me for changing my oil at midnight) Anyhow, while doing about 50 today my oil plug backed out and spewed oil all over my back tire sending me fishtailing down the road, I barely kept the bike upright until i slowly came to a stop. I've taken care of my oil plug and gotten new oil but now I have the problem of my rear tire and everything else on that end of the bike being covered in oil, I've tried to clean it off with brake parts cleaner to no avail, chain degreaser, and now i've got some carb cleaner sitting on that back tire but nothings getting this oil off. Anyone got any ideas on how I can clean it off to get to work tomm?
    Last edited by HighRisk; 02-06-2014, 10:51 PM.

Get that carb cleaner off your tire! It eats rubber.

If it's not too late for your tire, use Simple Green, a scrub brush and hot water.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

a burnout lol jk. Like Bill said..id scrub it real good an scuff up the tire

glad your alright!
      Last edited by crazycraven420; 02-07-2014, 09:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Get that carb cleaner off your tire! It eats rubber.

If it's not too late for your tire, use Simple Green, a scrub brush and hot water.
        +1
        Remove the carb cleaner as soon as possible! Then use Simple Green and a good rigid bristled scrub brush to work it in then rinse with warm water. you may need to do it a couple of times depending on how saturated the tire is. Glad you kept it up. I've been seeing far to many bikes on the ground lately. It seems I cant go out for a drive without seing something involving a bike or scooter. It's relly making me second guess my desicion to get back on a bike....... OK second guessed myself and still came to the same conclusion.... I need to be back on a bike.
        Last edited by Bkohs; 02-07-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Going to go scrub the carb cleaner off the back tire. I put it on there knowing it eats the rubber. A friend told me that since the tire was hot when it got oil all over it that it probably absorbed some oil when it cooled down. Not quite sure if that's possible but I wanted to use the cab cleaner to take a layer or so off of the tire just in case.

Comment

drive it through some dirt.....
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Soap, hot water, and elbow grease...It's like the frying pan you cooked bacon on, then let everything cool and congeal.

Bacon!!
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
              X