X

New sprockets.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sprockets.

Hey guys, I've been thinking about changing my front sprocket -1 and my rear +3 I know the rear sprocket is 48 teeth so i'll want a 51 tooth sprocket for the rear but I don't know what size front sprocket to get? I'm trying to increase torque. I also don't know which chain to get, any suggestions? This will be my first time trying to change the sprockets. Thanks in advance!

What size/year bike? Different ones have different sprocket set ups. I believe they all have a 15t front though.

Changing sprockets isn't too hard, the manual covers pretty much what you need to know. I'd suggest greasing up the worm gear on the shifter while you're in there and have it accessible. (http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...grease+bearing)
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I use a 15/50 setup on my 93 750. I wouldn't want to drop a tooth on the front or go much higher on the rear as it would get a bit too far into the no top end/high rpms at highway cruise speed for me.

If I did a lot of highway, I would change what I have now to be honest. Most of my riding is really curvy 2 lane back roads though, so this works for lots of speed changes with the curves and such.

GSXFjim at 7thgeardesigns.com does custom sprockets fyi... and they are priced at a very reasonable and competitive rates vs other non custom options out there.

If you change the tooth count much, your looking at a new chain too (if you were not aware).

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Most of my riding is around 55 -75 MPH Highway riding and If it gets too bad i'll switch to the old sprocket. So I'm going to leave my 15t front sprocket on (I'll still open it up to clean it) Will I need a new chain moving up to a 50t? Or should I try my old one first? 98' Katana 600.

Comment

Originally posted by HighRisk View Post
          Most of my riding is around 55 -75 MPH Highway riding and If it gets too bad i'll switch to the old sprocket. So I'm going to leave my 15t front sprocket on (I'll still open it up to clean it) Will I need a new chain moving up to a 50t? Or should I try my old one first? 98' Katana 600.

First...

Are you comfortable riding around in 5th gear (don't shift to 6th) at highway speed and normal riding you currently do? Try that first... then decide.

If not, you do not want to swap.

If you are, then... by all means, go for it.

If you do the swap, you will most likely need a new longer chain. Additionally, If the old sprockets/chain are still in good condition, keep them around as a set incase you find out long term that it isn't a good swap for you.

Most people that ride mostly highway find going down in the rear provides a smoother and lower rpm ride. Less buzz and such.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            First...

Are you comfortable riding around in 5th gear (don't shift to 6th) at highway speed and normal riding you currently do? Try that first... then decide.

If not, you do not want to swap.

If you are, then... by all means, go for it.

If you do the swap, you will most likely need a new longer chain. Additionally, If the old sprockets/chain are still in good condition, keep them around as a set incase you find out long term that it isn't a good swap for you.

Most people that ride mostly highway find going down in the rear provides a smoother and lower rpm ride. Less buzz and such.

Krey
            +1

I went down 2 in the rear. Don't really notice a loss of oooomph, but lower rpms and less noise is definitely nice. Also made my speedometer almost spot on
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I agree with krey leave the 15t cs and change the rear. I have a 15/50 set in stock, the rear is aluminum w/black anodizing, stock style pattern.
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Krey what revs are you running at when doing 70 ,thought mine were high ,but idea of riding in 5th may seem about right

Comment

Originally posted by ratana 7fiddy View Post
                  Krey what revs are you running at when doing 70 ,thought mine were high ,but idea of riding in 5th may seem about right

My current set up feels exactly as though I dropped a gear range. 2nd feels like first did, and top gear feels like 5th did. RPMs went up by 800 from prior at various speeds.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

My current set up feels exactly as though I dropped a gear range. 2nd feels like first did, and top gear feels like 5th did. RPMs went up by 800 from prior at various speeds.

Krey
                    so first gear is almost worthless then? lol
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                      so first gear is almost worthless then? lol

No, I wouldn't say that. But it's definitely... short... on fast take offs.

I'm a lot more likely to hit the limiter on fast accelerating because it comes faster than I'm used to.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

I have 15/48 with a 160/60 rear. tachs around 5k @ 58 mph[on GPS]. I wouldn't go any higher on rear.
                        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

No, I wouldn't say that. But it's definitely... short... on fast take offs.

I'm a lot more likely to hit the limiter on fast accelerating because it comes faster than I'm used to.

Krey
                          Yea I could imagine! lol
                          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Will a 16t fit up front?

Front sprockets are so much cheaper and easier to change, and also dont affect chain adjustment nearly as much. I was planning to experiment with 14/15/16 and stock rear. The 14 would be for city and track rides, the 16 would be for long trips, and the 15 would be for everything in between (like a long trip where I plan some twisty riding when I gets there)
                            -Chris
                            **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

I've heard that a 14 really stresses the chain so it's not highly recommended. No personal experience though.

I've seen several people commenting that the 16 is possible, but needs some slight modification. There's several threads on it,so if no one else chimes in, a quick search should be able to answer exactly what needs modding.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                              X