We can talk tires, right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We can talk tires, right?

Alright Katriders, admittedly I'm a bit intimidated and also confused:

I've had my bike for quite a while, and I still don't feel like I can trust her. She's got Skinko front and rears on now, from the previous owner -- I just feel like I can't trust them having been from a PO. When I got my Kat it'd looked like he either never leaned over or just learned to do burnouts a couple weeks ago. The middle contact patch's tread is nearly shot, and frankly I've gathered that Shinko are go-to cheap tires. I think it's time I get some good tires fitted.

I've been looking over and reading about tires compounds, designs, and different tires I might be in the market for but I'm still at square one but am mainly looking into sport touring tires

Here's my application:

Long(er) range driving, preferring a high-mileage tire or otherwise touring. I *really* want to be confident of the tires in the wet or adverse conditions should I be caught in them.

My commute:
    (See attachment one) Long-range drive through about 50-70mph semi-windy 'backroads' which frankly will be taken very carefully by me because already in my cage I've had too many close calls with animals, road debris, and generally I've gathered it'd be best to not try to do any spirited riding.

Generally putting around Linn, Missouri (Where I attend college)
    Generally putting around the more city area of St. Charles, Missouri (Where I live, I return home on the weekends)

Just trying to opinions of riders that have possibly already experienced multiple tires and could be better-versed in a set of tires that suits the situation I'm in best.

Thanks in advance, Katriders.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Purplehaze; 01-12-2014, 04:54 PM. Reason: It's just like me to forget the attachment.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Michelin Pilot Road 2's or 3's will do what you want as well as many others
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

+1 on the PR series
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I've been happy with the PR3's on my VFR.
        Kyle

Comment

Pr3's on my '98 600 and I love them. I have been in severe downpours and felt fine. I live in Colorado and this past summer I dealt with rain at some point on most rides. One ride was a midnight run up above timberline, rain and then above treeline was low 30's with hail slush and the pr3's were great. If same conditions I would not do it again due to visibility but the tires are ready for it.

Comment

+1.

Front PR2 lasted 18k miles, rear lasted 29k miles. NEVER had any traction issues. Currently have PR3s mounted, front has 19k on it and more left. Rear only has 3k. Ridden in rain with both, sleet/ice on the 2s. They're fantastic tires. PR4s also just came out, I believe Michelin is phasing out the 2s. The PRs might cost a bit more but they last and have really good traction. Never had a pure sport tire, so I'm sure you can get something stickier, but these are the best I've ever used.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Another +1 for the PR series tires.

The PR2 will last longer.

The PR3 will still last a long time, but not quite as long as the PR2. But, it has a lot better sticky side grip and the best wet road feel of any tire I've ever tired. The first time I road on the PR3s on a wet road was a pretty spirited ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway the morning after mounting them... and I was amazed at how well those tires felt and gripped.

So if wet is a concern, I suggest highly the PR3.

If mileage is the main concern, then the PR2.

Neither tire is a bad choice for your riding style. Both will grip far better than your described needs and more than meet your riding style.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'd been eyeing the Pilot Road series, and have heard (Further proof) nothing bad about them at all.

No doubt I'd be more cautious in the wet, than normally would in the dry.

I have no qualms about dropping money on tires, as it is not the concern nor the reason I'm getting tires. I might be poor but I've never understood anything more than if you'd like to improve a vehicle, tires are the best place to start.

Taking it into account, would love to hear more personals and advice, Katriders.
                - Purplehaze

Comment

If you do a search, you'll find that there are lots of opinions on tires. You can rehash most of the arguments with whatever the current model of each brand happens to be. Bottom line look for a good price, and pick a tire that's suited to your riding style.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

By sounds of it think I'm gonna order a pair of PR3's tonight. My poor kat has had the front tire for 5+ years and only changed back tire once about 3 years ago. So I'm used to riding with them pretty much bald. Can't wait to have some traction.
                    Last edited by rottenpixies; 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM.
                    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

PR2s. For 10-15 more/tire PR3s will give you awesome traction when wet, but if you don't intend on riding wet unless caught out by surprise, PR2s should be great for you. Also PR4s would probably be fantastic but they've only been out a few weeks, so no personal experience on them.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I have 13k on my Avons, so new tires are due this year. FWIW, I've already done my trolling around this site for advice and have decided it will be the PR3s for me. You can see that they're the most recommended.

Comment

Purplehaze, my opinion on the PR's is this..I got the PR3 front and rears put on and drove in rain..heavy rain..sideways rain..a foot of flooded water on a flooded road (at about 15-20 mph), hail, sleet and yes a snowstorm (on the highway between 40-65 mph) and they have really gone above my expectations. They stuck great in corners and handled well during braking. All in all..a reliable and predictable tire.

I do a ton of highway miles (about 2/3 total mileage) so the rear tire wore in the center more quickly than the rest (plus some rear shock issues). The front tires tread design is weird looking but it works, it helps reduce cupping and it sticks good. So after my PR3 rear wore I put a PR2 on it (a sacrifice for better treadlife) and its still a great tire but I find a noticeable difference in grip. Ive dragged pegs on the ground several times with both tires but the PR3 had me a little more confident in it. The PR2 is still fine in rain and a great tire but the PR3 is the one to choose if you want that little more grip and confidence over more treadlife. I cant say how much more treadlife since im still using the PR2 though.

The dunlops (dont remember which ones) my bike came with were crap compared to the others ive run. I also had a Pirelli Demon (?) that was the most "sticky" but obviously that didn't last nearly as long as I need one too lol. I bought that in a pinch and it was the only one in the size I needed nearby.

The only time ive unexpectedly lost traction was in a hail storm but that was my error since I couldn't see and turned into a flooded gas station entrance an almost low sided so I corrected an chose to jump a curb an ride thru the soaked muddy lawn before pulling up to pump lol then rode the rest of the way home haha
                          Last edited by crazycraven420; 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

So I was about to order a set or PR3's of bike bandit, but I first checked with my local bike shop about how much they would charge just to mount them. Glad I checked cause he has pr3's in stock and will sell them to me same price I would pay online, than on top of that he charges half price for the mounting if you buy the tires through them. This is what he told me:
                            Pilot Road 3, front, 120/70ZR-17 $141.00
                            Pilot Road 3, rear, 150/70ZR-17 $166.00

Installation including: Mounting, balancing, tire recycling and tire waste fees is $70.00 total and that's bringing the bike to us front and rear.

Therefore the total, if purchased here, would be $307.00 + $70.00 = $377.00
                            $377 out the door to buy and mount the tires, sounds like a plan to me!!
                            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Starling steal there mate. Definitely going to wait until a good sale to pick up new rubbers.
                              Last edited by Purplehaze; 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM.
                              - Purplehaze

Comment

Working...
                              X