X

New Chain and sprockets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chain and sprockets

SO…… I'm honest enough to admit that I'm not the most mechanically inclined person on my block. I just learned how to change oil, and the occasional brake pads. However, I'm thinking of changing my chain and sprockets during the winter. I'm a new rider so I don't really understand the "ups and downs" of the chain world. I understand the concept of dropping a tooth or links, creates more pull and in turn you may have a little "peppier" bike. But I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking to do. The main thing I want to know is what are good brands? I would like a little style with the rear sprocket and maybe even the chain. I'm not too flashy, but I do like different. Lastly, I would like to do it myself. Scares the sh!t out of me, but I want to do it. What's the level of difficulty on a scale of 1-10. Please keep in mind, I'm a complete novice.

I don't know the other brand. But I'm very satisfied with by DID 530 VX. Since the installation about 2000 miles ago, no adjustement was required, only cleaning. Ok I don't drive hard but the previous chain, which come with the bike was a crap. More adjustment than cleaning... So yes paying more for a good quality chain is a nice investment
    Current : GSX750F 2006
    Previous : CB900F 1982

Comment

DID is all I use but there are other quality brands you can choose from. Down load the manual from the wiki if you do not have one yet. It will walk you through it step by step, also if im not mistaken steves put posted a video on this subject. As for difficulty it is fairly simple with the proper tools
      Last edited by dano68; 10-27-2013, 08:51 PM.
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

D I D, RK or EK O or X ring chain 530 width. Flashy sprockets, pm GSXFjim, he'll make what ever you have in mind and does excellent work. Check out my garage for my sprocket that was done by him.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X