X

Michelin Pilot Power 3's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin Pilot Power 3's

Hello everyone. Figured I'd relate my experiences with these tires. I was trading off from the Dunlop Q2's. Only issues I ever had with Q2's was at the track, cold tires on the first lap of the sessions after I'd get comfortable and be pushing it a bit more. All in all, they were great tires, but I didn't like the profile as much, and wanted to try something new. This is where the PP3's come in. I got them just before the rally this year, and managed to put 20-25 miles on them before trailering down to the rally.

Initial impression was fairly poor. Even though I didn't like the profile of the Q2's (seeming too wide, even for a 160 on the 4.5" rear wheel and wrapping around too much), the profile of the PP3's was seemingly the opposite. I now think it was just from seeing the Q2's the way they were, making the new PP3's seem weird, when they are in fact, perfectly normal. In those first 20-25 miles, the PP3's were THE most squirmy tires I've ever had for scrubbing in. They slid fairly often. That said, in those first 20-25 miles, I got almost edge to edge in the back.

Then I made it down to the Rally, trailering down there. Went for a short ride on Saturday, very leisure ride on the Skyway. On Sunday, we did the group ride. The tires were amazing! Absolutely no issues at all on the Dragon, and of course, none on the rest of the way to Telico Plains. On the way back to the cabins, we ended up riding through rain. At first, I was one of two guy's following Ron in the rain, learning a little bit of what tires can actually do in the rain. It was eye opening.

As a result, leaving in the lead from an overlook, I started going faster and faster in a downpour. I was practicing leaning WAY off the bike, exaggeratedly so, to keep the bike more upright in the rain, and being super smooth with the throttle and brakes. Adam was following me, so I kept thinking "Well, he has more experience than me. He's staying right behind me, so I must not be going too fast for conditions." Yeah, I kept going faster and faster through the turns. He later told me we were entering the tighter turns at significant speed for conditions, riding through mini rivers flowing across the pavement. Never a single issue with the PP3's! I'm fairly certain that the Pilot ROAD 3's would be better rain tires, but the PP3's are certainly no slouch. They did great! As a result, that was one of the most exciting rides I can remember having. It was awesome!

Throughout the rest of the Rally, I kept getting faster and faster, and more comfortable with leaning off the bike. I've gone from edge to edge on the rear tire, and it just grips. Overall, I think my initial impressions were horribly wrong. These tires are excellent! I would still be careful scrubbing them in though.

For reference, these tires went on a worked over post 600 Kat with Racetech suspension front and rear. The rear 160 tire went onto a 5" wide rear wheel that I fitted to my bike. My guess is that tip in would be slightly better on the stock 4.5". The tires held up better than the Q2's the previous year, treadwear wise. These have now become my favorite tires.

They are rated as being an okay trackday tire, but mostly for street use. They are supposed to have longer tread life than the older 2ct's. I can't really comment on that as I haven't worn them out, and I've never had the 2ct's. If you're thinking about getting them, and want a sticky tire that might get a little more tread life than a typical sticky tire, I'd say get it!

I've never done a track day, just done a stupid amount of miles on a lot of different bikes. Occasionally I can go fast. Said rain run happened to be one of those times (Actually dont know that i ran any faster than that in the dry this year)The PR3s are what i was following you with. They could've taken more as well, my lack of sufficient testicular fortitude for such is what established my less than gp pace Be sure to post back to this thread with the tread life n consistancy of grip throughout the life of the tires.
    sigpic
    1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

hmmm.... I guess well see how they do for me down in TN...

and just because...

Comment

The PR3's are pretty kickass in the rain in my experience. They too (mostly the rear) were pretty squirrelly for the first 5 miles or so.

Are the PP3's dual compound as well?
        Last edited by crazycraven420; 08-15-2013, 05:43 PM.
        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Yep, they certainly are 2 compound tires. On mine, you can literally see the line between the two compounds.

Comment

yea mine too an you can feel the difference as well.

Comment

I gotta ask. if your trailering the bikes or usuing them for short distance riding, why run a sport touring tire.?
              I agree the PR3 are great tires, my faithful customers love the wet grip but prefer the life from the PR2.

IMO if your not touring across the country why use a touring tire. If you think the PR3 are good tires, try the Pilot Power 2ct
              fwiw I rode down to the dragon from Canada 6k km round trip and the tires wore great and GRIP like crazy. They do wear faster as any soft tire will but if you use it as a sport bike, run a better tire.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

hes using Pilot Power 3's, I just input about my Road 3's. I commute slab for 50 miles each way...no trailering here lol.

Comment

Yes, if you'll look, this was a review for the Pilot Power 3's, which I think are replacing the older 2ct's. In fact, I couldn't get the 2ct's in the size I needed, which elimnated though. Further, I occaisionally do trackdays on my Kat, so I wanted a stickier tire. From everything I've read, the PP3's are superior to the 2ct's in grip, wet grip, and tire life.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                    Are the PP3's dual compound as well?
                    Yes, the difference is, the pp2's had soft rubber on the entire outside and hard on the middle. The pp3s are hard all over, and they put soft on top of that on the edges (far enough down you won't wear through, obviously). The thinking behind this was to create a more rigid sidewall while still having a dual compound. The dunlop q3 still uses soft, but they put a rim of carbon fiber in the sidewall to compensate.

I like mine so far. The tread seems like it would be great in the wet too!

PP2

PP3
                    Last edited by IndyGunner; 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Very cool information, thanks

Comment

Slight update.

I'm starting to get a lip on the back sides of the tread grooves. Didn't get this with the Q2's. My guess is that it's a softer compound, and I need to adjust the rear shock a little bit.

I've gotten comfortable with riding agressively on my trackdays and down at the rally. As a result, I've changed my riding style. I'm not wanting to go fast enough to treat the street like a track, so instead, I change my lines going for a really late apex, and snapping the bike over on it's side as quickly as possible. Because of this, the softer sides are wearing a little fast. It's weird for me to see the sides wear so much compared to the center.

Lastly, I took a 1000 mile trip, almost all highway, to meet up with family for a camping trip. It DID wear the center down compared with the sides, but potentially not as much as I would've figured for these tires being good for a track day here and there. Still plenty of tread life left.

Will update more as I have more info on them.

Comment

Are you guys putting the PP3's on stock Kats?

I'm being told they don't make them in the 150/70 rear wheel size.

Comment

if you have a 98+ a 160/60/17 will work fine. I prefer them actually, as they are a tiny bit wider compensated by lower profile. Ran them for 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by C-Fos View Post
                              Are you guys putting the PP3's on stock Kats?

I'm being told they don't make them in the 150/70 rear wheel size.
                              Originally posted by IndyGunner View Post
                              if you have a 98+ a 160/60/17 will work fine. I prefer them actually, as they are a tiny bit wider compensated by lower profile. Ran them for 5 years.

Yeah, the 160 should work fine for an 06 600 Kat.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X