No announcement yet.
X

Tire changer ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah , it IS kinda time-consuming . Took ALL DAY last time with this one tire because we couldn't break the bead . Of course , we didn't have anything RESEMBLING the proper tools . I did my rear tire myself the "redneck way" in about 2 hours (bead-breaker being a jack under a truck . LONG time to get it to break) . I've learned since then , and with something that'll break the bead easier , I think I can be done in less than an hour ..... But yeah , $20 to take the wheel to a shop and let THEM do it ain't terrible either .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by steves
      Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I'm considering getting myself setup to change tires.

Do the motorcycle tires require any balancing?
      Assuming Dan sees this, did you ever manage to change any tires on your own?

I've never changed tires before, but I'm looking at shelling out over $100 to get the tires for both bikes mounted.... that's with me taking them off the bike and schlepping them to the shop.
      I have change two tires myself, but just ended up using this contraption to break the bead. Then just spooned them on using homemade tire spoons. It 's actually really easy, just take a little muscle to get that last bit seated.

The tire spoons I used were just plastic wonder bars i got from the dollar store for a buck a peice. work like a charm as is.

Comment

I use a NoMar mount/demount bar on my changer which works well and does not scratch the wheels.
        Ron
        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
          I use a NoMar mount/demount bar on my changer which works well and does not scratch the wheels.
          I looked at their site . Is that thew thing listed at $100 ? If so , I'll just get some cheapy plastic rim protectors for the future ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

There are a few others that work better. The Coats bar is better also.
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
            X