Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Run mismatched tires or larger than 150/70 rear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run mismatched tires or larger than 150/70 rear?

Hello everybody! This is my first post here and I'm a new rider, so be gentle.

I recently bought an '04 Kat. The tires are pretty worn, but I was given a new Michelin Pilot Power 120/70 with the bike. After lurking around here, it seems a matched pair of tires is the best option. However, it looks like Michelin doesn't make the Pilot Power in a 150/70. So, here are the options I've thought of:
    1. Buy a 160/60 Pilot Power (I don't like the idea of the speedo being more inaccurate at all)
    2. Buy a 170/60 Pilot Power (This thread makes it sound like it will work fine and fix the speedo concerns I have)
    3. Buy a different 150/70 rear tire and run an unmatched pair.
    4. Scrap the idea of using the freebie Pilot Power and buy a new matching pair.

Did I miss a possibility? Which option sounds like the best option to you experienced riders? Anybody have experience with some of these options?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Idk who told u miss matched tires was bad but its fine. Really
    Depends on the tires u choose. I would keep the tire u got for free, width of the rear tire like 150,160 or 170 doesnt affect speedo, it's the height of the tire,basically the number after the 150 etc (60/70). On the pres it's Not a problem as the speedo is on the front tire but I think the posts is on the sprocket side of the motor, not sure if tire affects this as its on the sprocket bolt.

You can fit a 170 tire on the post 4.5" rim as that's what I did when I swapped It on my pre. Just need to mod the brake arm for more clearance.

That being said u will not see any performance increase going from a 150 to 170 tire. And the 150 will usually allow faster tip in on the turns. Remember that u need to check tire manufacture for tire figment on suggested rim size. Some 170 tire will not fit 4.5" correctly and some do. Putting wrong tire width on wrong rim will have undesirable handling effects.
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

I would go with the 160/60 Pilot Power if it was me. As for inaccuracy in the speedo, the 160/60 will not make a difference.
      Last edited by ZukiFred; 06-27-2013, 04:29 PM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Couldn't pay me to run mismatched tires. I also spent decent money on tires and threw them away based on age so...

As for the speedo, who cares if its off?
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Just get the 160/60 power. The best set of tires I ran on mine was the 120/70-160/60 pilot power combo. I have yet to try a more current tire.

I have also run mismatched tires with very little effect on handling. It's a street touring bike with poor at best suspension. You'll be fine with mismatched tires, as long as you aren't trying to run a 'cruiser' style tire on one end compared to a sport tire on the other.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I ordered a 160/60 Pilot Power.

Comment

Working...
            X