Uneven rear tire wear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven rear tire wear

Good day to you, Katriders!

Some 6k miles ago i have changed my rear tire to a 160 Pirelli Diablo (not Strada). I recently noticed, that it is worn out much more on the left side (sprocket side), than on the right - the difference is about 2 mm. I have searched the forum, but only found descriptions of such issues with the front tire - but my front tire is ok. What could be the cause? i have checked the position of the tire (chain adjusters?) and the tire seems to be standing straight. Could it really be the uneven profile of our roads? I actually take left corners at a greater speed, but the part that gets me confused is - is it really posiible to achieve such disbalance in wear only by cornering at different speed? i mean - with only 6k miles? Anything else i could check? Thanks in advance, for your wisdom!

Even if you make as many left turns as you do right ones, You are traveling 1/3 to 1/2 again as far in the turn. Mix that with greater speed and yes, that could be the cause.

6k miles is life limit on many motorcycle tires as well.
    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

It's odd though that the uneven wear is on the rear tyre and not the front. Road camber / driven road side bias and hence corner radii and speed tend to have a greater effect on the front tyre rather than the rear. In this part of the world, that leads to pronounced wear on the right side of the front tyre. Unless you are also seriously on and off the gas while taking those left corners, it could be worth checking all the factors that ensure your rear wheel is running true - your alignment, ensuring rear axle spacers are where they should be (unlikely they aren't), the cush drive components are secure and undamaged, the axle is straight, the sprocket isn't warped, and that bearings are lubed and functioning properly.

You could try driving on the left for the next 6K miles to see if you even the wear.

Comment

left sides usually always wear more.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
          Even if you make as many left turns as you do right ones, You are traveling 1/3 to 1/2 again as far in the turn.
          I think I'm confused, how is this correct?

Maybe if all that was ever ridden was inner city stuff, 90 degree corners where lefts are longer than rights, but if its just general riding in a mix of situations?

Please, enlighten (or even edumacate) me.

Comment

generally speaking, left turns are longer in nature than rights due to needing to cross the extra lane of traffic compared to a right hand turn, add in the natural 'crown' most roads have to drain water off the center, and you have more left side tire wear than right. considering the OP has said nothing about his front also being uneven, it leads me to believe that his rear wheel isn't squared up either...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Now that you mention the crown of the road I understand it more. Like you though, I'd think that the front would have the same rough wear pattern if everything was aligned properly.

Comment

make sure the rear wheel is straight. measure from front of swingarm. marks are not always correct. there was a thread somewhere about using 96" light tubes to check alignment.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

if you can coast with your hands off the bars and the bike tracks strait the alignment is good enough.
                  fact is people often lean more and accelerate harder on left turn then right because they are longer wider turns. Uneven rear tire wear is more common on the rear on the thousands of tires Ive changed.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                  X