X

Best Chain For Your Buck?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Chain For Your Buck?

I need a new chain, but i have not had the best of luck with buying a good quality chain without spending my entire paycheck. What is the best chain for your buck?
    1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

DID x ring on my bike, has about 13000 miles on it since I installed it last year. So far so good! Think I found it for $130, but again, it was a year ago, so I might not remember that correctly. Still stock sprockets and they're looking fine. (Hope I didn't just start the whole change them as a set vs every other time debate again...)
    Whatever you put on, clean and lube it often and it'll last longer.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

For sure and that's what I was thinking.. I think I'm going to have to go with a conversion kit to a 530 from the original 630 as I have found few o-ring and no x-ring chains in the 630.

sigpic

Comment

I dont think the kat came originally with 630 but 530 is plenty enough anyway. ive had good luck with the cheaper DID chains too. right now im running an RK chain it is as good as the DID. a lot of people on the forum will tell you to get one of the high end brands and put as much money into a chain as possible. I agree with them IF you ride enough to actually wear out a chain. I change my chain roughly once every 1.5 years. because I do 15 000 km in one year and my chains lasts me 20 000km with track days , two up riding, salt in the winter time etc...

if youre one of the people that put 1000 miles on your bike a year just buy any chain that fits , really...

if you ride enough to change it within the timeframe youre owning the bike then go for the known brands even though they are costly
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I.did the 520 conversion on mine with vortex sprockets for around 200 great deal

Comment

No bike that I know of is 630. The Katana is 530.

Comment

Originally posted by doughboy View Post
              I.did the 520 conversion on mine with vortex sprockets for around 200 great deal
              I did the 520 conversion as well but unfortunately i cant say anything about longevity, as i only had it on for a few 100 miles when i had to take the bike off the road (not the chains fault) tho i can tell you that the 520 IS NOT going to last as long as the stock 530. mostly because the rear sprocket is aluminum, and will wear more than the OEM steel one, which will wear the chain at the same time
              if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

PO has a 1979 GS1000.

I highly recomend DID Xring chain. I think the 530 conversion for that application is a good idea.

krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

DID
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                    I dont think the kat came originally with 630 but 530 is plenty enough anyway.
                    Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    No bike that I know of is 630. The Katana is 530.

Sorry for confusion, but i am buying a chain for my 79 GS1000 which has the 630 chain.

sigpic

Comment

I would do a 530 conversion on it (which is what I did on the 81 GS1100 I had). The modern 530 chains are as strong or stronger than the old skool 630's were, and you'll get more options in chains.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Parts Unlimited Xring chain.
                        Its same chain as the EK x ring, but $50 cheaper
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                          I would do a 530 conversion on it (which is what I did on the 81 GS1100 I had). The modern 530 chains are as strong or stronger than the old skool 630's were, and you'll get more options in chains.
                          I am definitely looking to do the 530 conversion, Gotta wait till payday though.

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          Parts Unlimited Xring chain.
                          Its same chain as the EK x ring, but $50 cheaper
                          I'll look into them, Thanks.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X