X

new chain fell off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new chain fell off

after all the time i spent getting my bike ready, i took it out today for the first ride to work.

i lost the new chain. luckily, it didnt hit the bike or do any damage, it just fell off when i left a stop sign

the chain i bought came with 2 types of master links: one with a slide on retention clip, and the other with a link that would need to be pressed with a tool

i used the retaining clip, and followed the instructions i found on youtube.

today i will be going to harbor freight to get the pressing tool, but i'm just curious as to what i might have done wrong with that retention clip... seems pretty easy, dont know how i could have fouled that one up
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

Originally posted by edromero View Post

today i will be going to harbor freight to get the pressing tool, but i'm just curious as to what i might have done wrong with that retention clip... seems pretty easy, dont know how i could have fouled that one up
    You used it. The clips have a higher rate of failure. You might not have had the chain tension right and/or you might have installed the clip facing the wrong way. The best idea is to always use the riveted masterlink if at all possible.
    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

And if you have no choice but to use the clip on link, saftey wire it so the clip can not possible come off.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
        You used it. The clips have a higher rate of failure. You might not have had the chain tension right and/or you might have installed the clip facing the wrong way. The best idea is to always use the riveted masterlink if at all possible.
        +1^^^^
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Has anyone on here successfully used the harbor freight breaker to flare the pins?
          previous rides
          06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
          next ride - another kat

Comment

C clamp and a bb
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
              Has anyone on here successfully used the harbor freight breaker to flare the pins?

I have successfully done about 5 chains with that tool.

It's now in 6 different broken pieces though.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                I have successfully done about 5 chains with that tool.

It's now in 6 different broken pieces though.

Krey
                Sounds like you got your money's worth out of it. I think I'll give this a try and measure with the caliper along the way. Sound ok? Thanks
                previous rides
                next ride - another kat

Comment

Just take your time. If you over press/flare the pins, the link may not move freely and now you have a worse problem because you'll have to replace the master link and try again.
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                    Just take your time. If you over press/flare the pins, the link may not move freely and now you have a worse problem because you'll have to replace the master link and try again.
                    So you think, press, release, measure, repeat...like that ?
                    previous rides
                    next ride - another kat

Comment

I don't think the HF tool will handle over pressing the link before it breaks instead... just my oppinion.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Last edited by steves; 02-12-2013, 10:46 AM. Reason: Fixed link
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

C clamp and bb didn't even come close to working. Waiting on tool to arrive

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          C clamp and a bb
                          previous rides
                          next ride - another kat

Comment

vise-grips, center punch and hammer

Comment

Working...
                            X