X

rear sprocket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear sprocket

hello all..well my question is,i am wondering what year sprockets for the rear of my `98 kat 600 are interchangeable.

lookin to use a 45t rear
    Last edited by ZukiFred; 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Originally posted by KATRIDER98 View Post
    hello all..well my question is,i am wondering what year sprockets for the rear of my `98 kat 600 are interchangeable.

lookin to use a 45t rear

89-06 3 spoke wheel models all use the same sprocket mounting and OEM 530 chain setup. The tooth count is customizable for most manufactures for at least a small range of choices. GSXFJim can make you any size/shape/tooth count sprocket you want and even offers customizations in design/colors for really good prices. You should pm him.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It's a pretty standard pattern.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I vote gsxfJim as well. I have a 45 tooth steel rear on mine but it came with the bike. If I were to get one I would get one from gsxfJim.

You know that going down from a 47(stock) to a 45 that you will be slowing the bike down and decreasing your cruising rpms right?

Krey maybe u could shed some light for me. Stock 600 is 15/47 now one of the PO before me had put on a 14/45. Basically going from a 15 to a 14 is like dropping 3 teeth in the rear and will improve pickup... But then why drop 2 teeth in the rear from a 47 to a 45? Aren't they countering each other? Basically they equate out to dropping 1 tooth but stressin the chain more with the 14 front sprocket?

I decided to swap the front out to a 15 and keep the 45 rear for now and see how I like it.
        1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
        fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
        55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
        R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
        Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

i was thinking about jus being a lil more tourqueie off the light,thats all..someone told me about gearingcommander.com

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
            I vote gsxfJim as well. I have a 45 tooth steel rear on mine but it came with the bike. If I were to get one I would get one from gsxfJim.

You know that going down from a 47(stock) to a 45 that you will be slowing the bike down and decreasing your cruising rpms right?

Krey maybe u could shed some light for me. Stock 600 is 15/47 now one of the PO before me had put on a 14/45. Basically going from a 15 to a 14 is like dropping 3 teeth in the rear and will improve pickup... But then why drop 2 teeth in the rear from a 47 to a 45? Aren't they countering each other? Basically they equate out to dropping 1 tooth but stressin the chain more with the 14 front sprocket?

I decided to swap the front out to a 15 and keep the 45 rear for now and see how I like it.
            I think your backwards on your gearing smaller rear gear=faster wheel rpm to engine rpm but, lower torque, slower take off. larger rear gear= slower wheel rpm to engine rpm but, more torque, quicker take off. ratio 14/45 vs 14/47.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-12-2013, 12:08 AM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Going from 15/47 to 14/45 achieves very little. You're right - they cancel each other. 1 T on the front equates to about 3 on the back, so 14/45 is equivalent to 15/48.

If you are chasing a standard size - eg 42T - 47T rear sprocket, they can be had quite cheaply off the shelf. Bike Bandit had them for around $28 late last year.

If you want outside the stock range, talk to Jim.

And yes, if you want more acceleration, you need a larger rear sprocket or smaller front or smaller front and larger rear - however most do not recommend dropping teeth at the front.
              Last edited by TRPUT; 02-12-2013, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post

The issue you guys are having with wrapping your brain around why... is because you think the OEM setup was standard for all the bikes.

Unfortunatley... it wasn't.

For example, the pre 600 had 45 and 46 tooth rear sprockets put on at the factory.

Combine this with the pre 750 and post kats also having different sprockets as well, and you get... confusion. This confusion pushes over even into information resources. For example, gearingcommander.com does not tell you there were more than one possible option for the pre 600 spockets.

In other words... there isn't really any telling what the PO wanted to do.

FYI...

OEM pre 600 used a 14t front sprocket. I've verified 14/45 and 14/46 OEM setups on them.

OEM Pre 750 used a 15t front sprocket. I've verified 15/45 and 15/47 OEM setups on them. This has been rumored to have also been carried over to the post 750s, along with the possible variance.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  I think your backwards on your gearing smaller rear gear=faster wheel rpm to engine rpm but, lower torque, slower take off. larger rear gear= slower wheel rpm to engine rpm but, more torque, quicker take off. ratio 14/45 vs 14/47.
                  Wait! So your saying that going from a 47 to a 45 in the rear is not dropping the rpm and losing tq? When you decrease the rear gear size the wheel speed will slow down and rpms will drop relative to engine speeds and will decrease tq due to the ratio change. Thus lowering rpm in all gears.

Larger rear sprocket means that the wheel will spin faster in relation to the engine speed and multiply tq. As the rear wheel will spin over faster which gives the illusion of enhanced performance of the motor and the feeling of more engine tq, when really all u did was change the ratio or leverage of the motor in relation to the rear wheel.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  The issue you guys are having with wrapping your brain around why... is because you think the OEM setup was standard for all the bikes.

Unfortunatley... it wasn't.

For example, the pre 600 had 45 and 46 tooth rear sprockets put on at the factory.

Combine this with the pre 750 and post kats also having different sprockets as well, and you get... confusion. This confusion pushes over even into information resources. For example, gearingcommander.com does not tell you there were more than one possible option for the pre 600 spockets.

In other words... there isn't really any telling what the PO wanted to do.

FYI...

OEM pre 600 used a 14t front sprocket. I've verified 14/45 and 14/46 OEM setups on them.

OEM Pre 750 used a 15t front sprocket. I've verified 15/45 and 15/47 OEM setups on them. This has been rumored to have also been carried over to the post 750s, along with the possible variance.

Krey
                  Okay. So basically there is no standard. I knew that the 750s used a 15/45 setup since they had more available low end tq and didn't need the hearing to get up and go like the 600. But I guess it's a crap shoot!
                  Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                  fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                  55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                  R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                  Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Working...
                  X