X

Removing the bearings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the bearings

im having the rims off my '89-600 Kat powder coated, how do i remove the internal bearings and hub without the special suzuki tool they have listed in the manual?

Sent from Skynet using my Galaxy S3

you can buy a threaded rod at the hardware store, buy one that is not too small in diameter, you dont want it to flex. cut it down to about a fot or two. put the closed end of a wrench in the rod and tighten it with a nut and some washers on both sides. there you have it , the wrench acts as a handle so you dont hurt your hand banging out the bearing. you need to put the rod in at an angle to hammer it out from the other side.

something like this only longer and thicker rod.

Last edited by mammut89; 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

When I had my dirt bike all I used was an old good sized screw driver and hammer(tap side to side so you don't damage the outter bearing fit)
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

YOU WILL NEED NEW BEARINGS!

drive them out from the oposite side with a drift or punch, but please warm up the hub around the bearings before you pound them out. Ive seena nd welded up dozens of cracked wheels from people pounding out the bearings cold.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

+1 on the heat!
          For a drift, I used a chunk of 1/2" round steel stock from the local hardware store and just worked it around the inside of the bearing as I whacked it with a hammer. The nice punches I have didn't want to grab the edge of the bearing nearly as well.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks for the info guys! I planned on replacing the bearings i just dont want to damage the rims removing the bearings. and i work in a steel plant so threaded rod is a plenty around here! tkx again!

Sent from Skynet using my Galaxy S3

Comment

Working...
            X