X

Michelin Pilot Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin Pilot Power

Onto my 3rd set of NEW tires for the season so far.

After getting 6000km (3700 miles) to My rear Shinko Apex/ front Pirelli Corsa combo I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Powers. 170/60-17 and /120/70-17 before my run down to Port Dover.
    Ive run and like the PP 2ct in the past..
    This time around I thought Id try the cheaper PP's

So far I have to say I like them, not as sticky as the Apex but smooth.
    Im running these tires at 33 -38 for the weekend as im riding mostly 2 up, but I did get out today for a mix of wet/dry solo ride at the same tire pressure. I cant feel any differenece between the PP2CT and PP. I wish Michelin would explain thier compounds for the non 2ct tires. are they all the soft compound or all the harder compound of the 2ct?
    I think harder.
    Wet traction is great... again I see no use for PR3 in wet climates. I actually played on the round-about near my house in the rain.. even got on the brakes hard enough to feel the slight clunk indicationg my new steering bearings need some slight adjustment after settling.
    Dry traction is also super. as good or better then the PR2 and PP2ct.

Ill update again after a few more rides as the scrub in a little more.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

I have a quick question... why 170/60? (instead of 170/70 or 160/60)

Comment

170/60- is closest to the stock height/size of the OE 150/70-17.

the 160/60 is almost 2" shorter then a 150/70
      the 170/60 is 1/4" shorter.

160 will give the bike more torque but tire life and mileage will suffer as the tire has to turn more revolutions per mile as its a lot smaller (also indicated speeds will be off)

I ran the 170 shinko at the dragon and saw no handling issues what so ever less then 1/4" of chicken strip left. but im an apex/body style rider so I dont put it at extreme lean angles.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

My fat Bandit came to me wearing Pilot Road 2's
        I do mostly high speed highway and they are holding up awesome
        They are not showing any center wear
        I was running threw a set of Bridgestones every season on my Katana, always center bare , but used them because the local guy had in stock
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

For sport touring the PR2 or conti road attacks were among the best.

I really prefer sport tires for my riding style.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            I ran the 170 shinko at the dragon and saw no handling issues what so ever less then 1/4" of chicken strip left. but im an apex/body style rider so I dont put it at extreme lean angles.

I'm not sure what "apex/body style" term means. Could you explain/define more for me?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Good luck with the pilot power. The new compounds Mich is running tend to wear weird and have odd heat cycling/warm ups. With the single compound in the pilot power it is apparently more evident. Though with the more toned down Katana using them hopefully you get a good deal of life out of them.

Even with the 2CT that they were supposed to have fixed the heat cycling and warm up issues on the track for which they were made for. For the street I LOVED my 2CT but I will be moving onto DRCs next I think for more of a track ride.
              I am a Penn State fanatic.
              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

I love the pilot powers, but I didn't get a lot of life out of the rear. Granted, the first roughly 1800 miles of it's life was spent down at the gap and slabbing it there and back...

Stellar tire in the rain compared to anything else I personally have run though.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

These calculations are based on just the measurements themselves. Actual dimensions of the tires and profiles will vary by makers.

The G2 Bandit 600 00-03 used essentially the same rear wheel as the kat, and came equipped with a 160/60.
                  Last edited by steves; 07-16-2012, 08:22 AM.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I cant feel any differenece between the PP2CT and PP. I wish Michelin would explain thier compounds for the non 2ct tires. are they all the soft compound or all the harder compound of the 2ct?
                    The PP came first, it is one compound. The PP 2ct is the same compound with a little softer compound on basically the last inch of tread. General consensus amongst the guys I trust, is that the 2ct is a waste of money. But that doesn't really matter either, because the Q2 is a better tire than either one.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      I'm not sure what "apex/body style" term means. Could you explain/define more for me?

Krey
                      Apex turning style uses the entire lane + in many cases allowing you to carry a LOT more speed then a person who uses 4-5feet of the road surface. regardless of the road or speeds I apex every turn... its just habit.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

So, what I just heard you say is that you ride race style on the street.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Apex turning style uses the entire lane + in many cases allowing you to carry a LOT more speed then a person who uses 4-5feet of the road surface. regardless of the road or speeds I apex every turn... its just habit.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Had not heard that specific reference before.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Apex must mean something different in Canadia. Lines must also mean something different in Canadia.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                            X