X

new tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tires

ok guys it is that time to get some new shoes,i have Michelin on there now, i liked them very much and was wondering what would be the widest i can go on a stock 17" rim without requiring a new or custom make swingarm. and should i stick to what i like or move on to a different brand of tire?

Looking at your bike it apears to be a post. why in the world do you want a fat tire? It will not do anything but hurt your handleing and brakeing. More mass to spin and stop. I use a 150/70zr17 Metzeler Z8 rear tire. The Z6 line has been discontinued or I would recomend them. The Z8 uses difrent compounds in the center to give longer life and softer on the sides to promote better traction cornering. Try Ron Ayres thats where i just ordered mine from. If i remimber right it was about 145 with shipping for the rear. There are some post here and other sites that explain better about the disadvantages of a wider than stock rear tire. Check them out.
    Crash
    "Peace is the glorious moment in time when everyone is reloading"

Comment

Biggest tire you can run is a 160/60...personally I find the 150/70 to be just fine. Pilot Road 2 or Road 3 is a great long lasting tire with good grip.

Comment

so when changing new tires should i get both of them done or the one that is bad?

Comment

It is best to have matching tires as they track the same. Having mismatched tires means mismatched handleing and traction. It is recommended to have both tire replaced if you can. By the way the 160 tire will fit a post kat wheel but you might have a fitment issue with the brake arm or chain with certain tires. They will not fit a pre kat due to the wheel being narrower.
          Crash
          "Peace is the glorious moment in time when everyone is reloading"

Comment

Most 170/60 rear tires are designed for a 4.5" rim

Im a big fan of the Continental sport attacks or Shinko Apex

I just got back from a week at the dragon, running a Shinko Apex 170 rear and Pirelli Super corsa up front.
            12 min from Gap to lower landing and no slipping. Most of the guys running the same times were on BT-003 or power one race tires on liter bikes.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
            X