How to properly remove tires.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly remove tires.

Hey all,

Last week you all helped me pick out tires for my kat, I went with the Michelin PR 2's. They will be here either tomorrow or the next day. The local bike shop wants $160 to remove the wheels, replace tires, and balance them, but only $25 just to replace and balance the tires if I bring the wheels in. Therefore I am going to save some dough and take the wheels off myself. I'm no mechanic but I've been around cars my whole life, and helped rebuilt a few engines. I was just wondering if there is any tips or tricks to removing the tires. If anyone has any guides they can send me to I would appreciate it. I didn't see any sticky's about this and I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

Thanks,

Chris
    1995 Suzuki Katana GSX600F (I was 4 years old when it was made)

If your bike is going to be sitting for a bit without wheels you want to make sure it's good and stable. Lat thing you need is to come back to your bike lying on its side. I've had both wheels off by putting the bike on the centerstand and then lifting the front end up by having someone push down on the back of the bike and putting a block of wood under the front of the frame. If you've got a trailer available I'd do it on that just so you can tie everything down to prevent someone from knocking the bike over by accident.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have a really solid I beam support in my garage and I have straps I was going to use to lift up the bike and put it all on blocks. I just got the bike used and the original owner removed the center stand so I cant use your option. I'll make sure it's good and solid before I take anything off. Thanks for the tip.
      1995 Suzuki Katana GSX600F (I was 4 years old when it was made)

Comment

Working...
      X