X

Master Links

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Links

Do chains typically come with master links, or do these have to be bought separately?

I'm going with 14 front 48 rear and this DID 520 X-ring chain

Sprockets are 520.

Also, is there any downside to non-rivet master links? Would be nice to be able to remove the chain to clean it once in a while.

Most good chains come with both styles. Clip type are good to get you out of a pinch, but not the best for longevity. I lost the retaining clip on a brand new chain when I was roughly 400 miles from home and 100 or so miles out from the rally yet back in 09( I had a spare just in case, wasn't stranded)...I'll never trust the clip type again. I borrowed a rivet tool at the rally as soon as I got there, put the rivet one on. I bought the same chain tool as soon as I got home...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
      Most good chains come with both styles. Clip type are good to get you out of a pinch, but not the best for longevity. I lost the retaining clip on a brand new chain when I was roughly 400 miles from home and 100 or so miles out from the rally yet back in 09( I had a spare just in case, wasn't stranded)...I'll never trust the clip type again. I borrowed a rivet tool at the rally as soon as I got there, put the rivet one on. I bought the same chain tool as soon as I got home...

I do NOT reccommend the clip-style. Before last season I installed a chain/sproket kit from Motorcyle Superstore (great site btw..), I think it was an RK kit (chain was gold). Anyhoo, came with both rivet and clip-style master links. Since i didn't have the tools to properly put on the rivet, I went with the clip.
      It held fine for a while then one day I hop on my bike to head home from work (45 mile commute) and do my saftey walk-around. Luckily I noticed that the clip was gone! No telling when or where it came off but thank GOD the chain held together.
      So I head over to the local bike shop to buy a replacement clip so I can get home. Another three days later, same story. WTF

And yes, I installed the clips the correct way.

So after another purchase of a replacement master link, I got the bike back home again safely.

Later that evening I ordered a rivet link and once that came in, got the bike to a dealership to have them install it. Worries are now over.

Long story short, go with a rivet style master link.
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

I agree fully! I recently had a bad experience with the clips going missing and chain popping miles from home or help. If you want to remove the chain jus drop the swingarm. May have to pull a little of the suspension for clearance but it's fairly simple

Comment

Working...
        X