X

Installation without balance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation without balance?

So I finally changed my original Dunlops for PR2's. Overdue is an understatement. Dunlops were manufactured in Jan 2004. Yes I'm bad. AND lucky I hadn't been in an accident. They were hard and dry compared to the PR2's. They had lots of tread and just got used to them. Bike only has 14k km.

Ok now to the post, after installation by a local shop, I inspected the rims for damage. All good. Then I notice no weights. I ride to work carefully being new tires (the tech tells me not over 150kph...my route limit to work is 70 to 100 LOL). I noticed no vibes of concern at the controls. Is it normal that a) they would not need balancing or b) they would not do it or recommend it if it was not included? Weird. I checked the work order and it just confirms installation. No mention of balancing. So I'm thinking they likely did not. I'll call tomorrow just to confirm.
    2004 GSX750F

The tires on my 636 required no balancing at all, maybe they checked and yours were just spot on. Usually they'll make a note of that in your work order for legal purposes...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Some people will argue that MC tires don't require balancing.

It's also possible that the balance was so close that it didn't require any weights.

I would call to confirm just in case, but I'm sure you will be just fine.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll call tomorrow.

The only warning (twice) was to be careful with new tires.
        2004 GSX750F

Comment

Once in a long while, I will get one that balances out perfectly, but it doesn't happen often. If you had two that required no weight, I would be suspect.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

So I called the service desk, the rep said they always balance the tires. I mentioned the lack of weights and he says "lucky you"...they always do it...erm ok i guess. Well no vibes as i mentioned yesterday, so we shall see.....

...ok, i just found an old photo of the bike, there's a weight on the front rim and it's gone now...i feel better.
            2004 GSX750F

Comment

If you are really worried, call them back and say "Gee I know you said that it was done but I would feel a lot better if you could just have them double check the balance for me"
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

yeah...at 90$/hour...not to forget the wait...they say first come first served for tires, but it was in between other appointments already taken.

I think I'm good to go. It ran smooth yesterday at 100-120 kph.
                2004 GSX750F

Comment

I don't think you should have to pay for that. If there's any concern about the work they should make it right.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I used to ride with a friend that never balanced the tires on his 900 RR. When I installed the tires on my bike last year, I did a "spin" on the axles and could not really determine a heavy/light spot, so I did not add any weights. No vibrations and or weird wear...
                    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      I don't think you should have to pay for that. If there's any concern about the work they should make it right.
                      Thanks Steves, you're right. But it seems to be smooth and i'm not a redliner, so I think I should be ok.
                      2004 GSX750F

Comment

Isnt 100kph only like 60mph? The first time blasting over 100mph is not when you want to find out your tires are out of balance, I'd pull the wheels and double check.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          Isnt 100kph only like 60mph? The first time blasting over 100mph is not when you want to find out your tires are out of balance, I'd pull the wheels and double check.
                          Agreed, but that being said, i don't run at 100 mph. I'm usually just commuting to work ~120 kph max. Casual rides to explore faster speeds are few and far between...family responsabilities and all. Anyway, I had her up to 130 kph at one point and seemed fine.
                          2004 GSX750F

Comment

I disagree weather you run 100 mph is not the concern, but weather the wheel is balanced. First, is wear on the bearings and secondly safety. I'm no expert, but that would be my concerns...
                            2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Ok but it seems fine. Both my butt dyno and feeling at the controls is fine and vibe free. Cornering was also fine. Tomorrow will be day 2. We shall see.
                              2004 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                              X