X

rear axle nut ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear axle nut ?

What wuld couse the rear axle nut to tighten past weher the cotter pin goes. All spacers are installed and torqued to 40ft/lb. Just worried bout it being able to vibrate and loosen up since the pin isn't actually in the crown nut.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
    What wuld couse the rear axle nut to tighten past weher the cotter pin goes. All spacers are installed and torqued to 40ft/lb. Just worried bout it being able to vibrate and loosen up since the pin isn't actually in the crown nut.

One of the largest causes is prior over tightening causing damage to the parts. For example, the swingarm having the sides bowed 1-2mm on both sides = a 2-4mm difference on the bolt... and making the castle nut tighten up just past the hole.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Any way to fix it other than a new s/a such as another washer on the other side of axle.

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
        Any way to fix it other than a new s/a such as another washer on the other side of axle.

An extra washer can help. I would double check you have all spacers/washers OEM as well by comparing to a parts fiche.

If it's the swingarm, you can have confirm/fix it's shape if it is indeed "bent" or "bowed" in on one or more of the sides.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm going to pull it apart in the morning and make sure everything is where it should be. I'll check for bend or bow and fix it if need be. How would you fix a bow. Just bend it back the other way? worse case I got another swing arm so not a huge deal. Just wierd that it all lined up fine before I put new tires on. Maybe I did leave out a spacer. I swear my shop is an extension of the Bermuda triangle and crap just disappears all the time.

Comment

After a dozen plus tire changes and many more chain adjustments, mine was about at the limit of where the the cotter pin would engage the castle nut. Always used a torque wrench but after repeated use, I feel that the bolt stretches, the washer wears, and the swingarm compresses. My Connie is getting there too, as is my KLR.

As long as all the correct parts are there, and everything is functioning correctly, I intend to just add an extra washer.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
              As long as all the correct parts are there, and everything is functioning correctly, I intend to just add an extra washer.

If everything else checks out, I wouldn't stress it. An extra washer would be just fine.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
              X