X

Wrong size rim on my '00 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong size rim on my '00 Kat

I was able to take some pics today on my rear rim. its a 6" wide with no markings on it anywhere. can anyone tell if there was any modifications to the swingarm ect? i measured the adj bolts at 10 1/4" apart. and the chain is about as far back as it can get. i believe its a 180 series continental on it
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Toyfan; 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM.

A 6" rim is definitely not OEM and I rather doubt that a 180 series would fit on it. There would have been some expensive mods done.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

thats why im asking. i cant really see any mods done to the swing arm but im not sure what all im looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyfan View Post
        I was able to take some pics today on my rear rim. its a 6" wide with no markings on it anywhere. can anyone tell if there was any modifications to the swingarm ect? i measured the adj bolts at 10 1/4" apart. and the chain is about as far back as it can get. i believe its a 180 series continental on it

No markings... honestly your probably measuring it incorrectly and it's a 5.5" wheel. (measure from inside bead seat to inside bead seat).

Polished it would seem so they probably sanded the markings off of it when they did that.

If your swingarm has not been modified, then your probably looking at the extreamly close clearances with your setup. Moving the tire forward may even put you close to touching if not actually touching. Right now with the wheel as far back as possible, measure your clearance at the forward most point of the tire edge to swingarm (up under the seat). If you have less than 1/2" on either side then you have clearance issues. As soon as you replace the chain and move the tire all the way forward, you will probably find you have no clearances at all. ( you can do this by just loosening the adjusters and axle and push the wheel all the way forward).

I would check your clearances there... and measure what you have between the tire edge and swingarm.

krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

looking at the front it appears to only be about 1/2 " between the tire and the arm. the guy at the shop used one of those plastic lobster claw looking thing used to measure rims and compared to a 99 kat sitting next to mine and showed me the differance.

Comment

looking at the front it appears to only be about 1/2 " between the tire and the arm. the guy at the shop used one of those plastic lobster claw looking thing used to measure rims and compared to a 99 kat sitting next to mine and showed me the differance.
            Right, measuring from the outside will give you a wider "measurment" because of the thickness of the rim wall where the bead seats. If he measured "near 6" then it's a 5.5" rim.

Generally the 180 is fit on a 5.5" rim.

The 6" rims with carrier have an extra 10mm offset on the sprockets. This would mean either the wheel is moved to the right out of alignment to keep the sprocket in line, the sprocket carrier has been modified, or the use of custom sprockets has been used (I don't see anything that would lead me to believe any of those atm... )

I strongly suggest you move the wheel all the way forward and measure tire clearances there with the swingarm or brake arm. This is something you could do pretty simply.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

really dont think the wheel can go any farther forward than it already is, without jamming itself into the swing arm. i noticed that the p/s chain adj is cranked all the way back, more so than the left side. i guess im wondering if this set-up is safe as is or doth i have to return to stock for safe operation. ( i do absolve you all from any liability).

Comment

really dont think the wheel can go any farther forward than it already is, without jamming itself into the swing arm. i noticed that the p/s chain adj is cranked all the way back, more so than the left side. i guess im wondering if this set-up is safe as is or doth i have to return to stock for safe operation. ( i do absolve you all from any liability).
                You need to go back to stock, because as it stands now you have no chain adjustment.

The other option is to widen your swingarm to ft the larger wheel and tire properly so you have chain adjustment again. Talk to Krey about that if you want to go that route.

Comment

+1
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

really dont think the wheel can go any farther forward than it already is, without jamming itself into the swing arm.

This was my concern... people sometimes get "creative" in how they deal with issues and fix them. You should have a full 1/2" clearance at the forward most point of the axle adjustment on both sides.

I would suggest going back to a 4.5" wheel if you want a simple fix. If you don't mind putting $ to fix it right you can certainly keep the 5.5" wheel setup. I have info on how to modify them, or I can do it for you.

It's a $250 + shipping costs to fix it right if you want me to do it.

Up to you...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

would there be any advantage to keeping this size rim/tire combo? then when it comes time to repair/replace parts ie: gear,bearings, the rubber thingys ect. ??

Comment

would there be any advantage to keeping this size rim/tire combo? then when it comes time to repair/replace parts ie: gear,bearings, the rubber thingys ect. ??

No real advantage other than looks to be honest. Your always going to be better off with the stock setup in this regards.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                        X