X

520 or 530.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 520 or 530.?

i needa get a new chain and sprocket, so whats better 520 or 530.?

It's not really a question of better, it's more about weight savings, and "what's cool". The 520 will save you a few ounces but on a kat, I don't really see the point. On a race bike where every gram matters, sure. But it is your bike and your choice. Either will work, so go with your gut, or flip a coin
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

"The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
      1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
      2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Katrider600 View Post
        i needa get a new chain and sprocket, so whats better 520 or 530.?

Get a set of 530 sprockets from the KR store. Order a good 530 chain. DID, EK, and or RK X ring chains I have all had a good experiance with.

I swapped to the 520 and have not really had any issues with it, but the primary reason I choose it was the availablility of the sprocket count I wanted. Only was able to find it in 520. Through the KR store, you can get any tooth count you want with no issue for the 530 now days. I'll be switching back.

530 will last longer. 520 setup is slightly cheaper, but doesn't last as long.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

530 will last longer. 520 setup is slightly cheaper, but doesn't last as long.

Krey
          I dont think that is the case in all situations. you can get a 530vx xring chain from DID ( a cheap 530 but still a good chain ) that has less tension strength than the zvmx 520 chain form DID. for example.

But I agree that the cheaper the less quality.
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
            I dont think that is the case in all situations. you can get a 530vx xring chain from DID ( a cheap 530 but still a good chain ) that has less tension strength than the zvmx 520 chain form DID. for example.

But I agree that the cheaper the less quality.
            I think what he is saying is of the same brand and model, the 530 will cost more than the 520. Depending on the brand/model it can be a pretty significant difference.
            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I have to correct myself , it was not the tensile strength it was the wear index. and it was not the x ring it was the o ring.

but we are on the same page on the price.

530 o-ring chain : price $105
              wear index: 2540

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DID-P...item2a0f3e1fb7

520 x-ring chain price : $149
              wear index: 3500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DID-5...item5643f7cf3f

conclusion:
              same brand not same model
              1. cheaper chain less miles
              2. thicker chain not always more miles

same brand same model
              1. cheaper chain less miles
              2. thicker chain always more miles
              Last edited by mammut89; 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                RK X ring chains
                Have you run an RK in the last few years? From what I have seen, they aren't making the chain that they used to.

DID have been treating me quite well though.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  Have you run an RK in the last few years? From what I have seen, they aren't making the chain that they used to.

DID have been treating me quite well though.

The chain I'm using on my 750 right now is a 520 RK X Ring chain with a vortex rear sprocket 50 count. I have round 12k miles atm, and I've seen no issues/problems as long as it's kept properly cleaned and lubed.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X