X

bent rims on ebay. whats the deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bent rims on ebay. whats the deal

As I browse ebat for all things katana related, I keep coming across cheap rims that all have a bent spot. So are these things rediculously easy to fix or are the sellers just trying to get all they can from a partout regardless if they are screwing someone.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
    As I browse ebat for all things katana related, I keep coming across cheap rims that all have a bent spot. So are these things rediculously easy to fix or are the sellers just trying to get all they can from a partout regardless if they are screwing someone.

A pro shop can possible fix them (small atrition of them forming cracks and being scrap) for around $100.

$40 rim + $20 shipping + $100 fixing = some $200+ rims normally for $160.

Personally, it's not worth the hassle for me, but some shops may do the buy/fix/resale themselves.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok. I was just curious. I just would never trust a repaired rim on a bike. Least of all 1 that I ride.

Comment

I don't mess with bent rims either. A lot of these eBay sellers that part out bikes, just take crap off and sell everything. If you buy a bent rim, that's on you. Unless the seller is selling a bent rim as good. In that case the seller is an assclown.

Comment

+1 got a way with words arsenic lol

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
            +1 got a way with words arsenic lol
            Yes he does...I especially like "assclown".

Comment

my Kat has a bent front rim.
              took it to a wheel repair shop and was told it is irreparable due to a bent spoke.
              the wheel wobbles less than half an inch off center and i still use it to putter around town, and i havent ever felt any shake in the bars.
              i dont trust it when i start leaning much though... but finding a replacement wheel for a reasonable price is proving to be pretty difficult..
              sigpic
              2000 Suzuki 600 Kat - Blue Fury V1.0
              2006 Kawasaki 636 - Blue Fury V2.0
              2011 Dodge Charger RT - Lexi

Comment

Originally posted by jippah View Post
                but finding a replacement wheel for a reasonable price is proving to be pretty difficult..
                Don't forget to look for pre 03 SV650 wheels too.
                Last edited by thetable; 11-02-2011, 06:59 PM.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  Don't forget to look for pre 03 SV650 wheels too.

pretty sure the SV wheels are match up for the 03+ kats... none that I have found were matches for the 98-02 model kats.

krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    pretty sure the SV wheels are match up for the 03+ kats... none that I have found were matches for the 98-02 model kats.

krey
                    They both made the change at the same time, I'm pretty sure I've swapped wheels once from my 01 Kat to my buddy's SV. May have just been the rear, but pretty sure the front was in the mix too.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

We used to see aluminum semi rims in the shop that had cracked and some monkey welded (usually the owner operator). We sent them down the road, never trust our lives to a welded aluminum wheel with unkown materials, welders and skills used in the welding plus we could have been liable if they got down the road and killed someone with it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                        They both made the change at the same time, I'm pretty sure I've swapped wheels once from my 01 Kat to my buddy's SV. May have just been the rear, but pretty sure the front was in the mix too.

The bearing sizes are different... the 99-02 SV used 17mm axles and the OD on the bearing is 42mm. The 98-02 Kat uses a 15mm axle and the bearing OD was 40mm.

I do not know if the hubs are the same width. If they are, then simply finding the right bearings and inner spacer would probably make the wheel useable as a cross over, but... I do know that fully stock they are not a direct swap.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

The bearing sizes are different... the 99-02 SV used 17mm axles and the OD on the bearing is 42mm. The 98-02 Kat uses a 15mm axle and the bearing OD was 40mm.
                          Good call then. I guess we only swapped rears.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet

Comment

I do not know if the hubs are the same width. If they are, then simply finding the right bearings and inner spacer would probably make the wheel useable as a cross over, but... I do know that fully stock they are not a direct swap.

Krey
                            You've got your numbers mixed up a little. Kats have a 15x42x13 bearing. The '01 SV650 has a 17x40x12 bearing. To put an SV650 wheel on the front of a 98-02 Kat you'd need to find 15x40x13 bearings. Not a common size at all.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                              You've got your numbers mixed up a little. Kats have a 15x42x13 bearing. The '01 SV650 has a 17x40x12 bearing. To put an SV650 wheel on the front of a 98-02 Kat you'd need to find 15x40x13 bearings. Not a common size at all.

Nope, no lysdexia here... none at all....

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X