X

Polished Kat wheels?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished Kat wheels?

When I bought my kat it came with a set of polished wheels that looked rather neglected. Did they come stock with polished wheels? All the casting marks and all markings are no longer on the wheels. I was wondering what would be the best way to restore them and how much they are worth (not using them on my bike). Thanks. Results so far.

Before.

After hand buffing with some wheel polish.

Pitting after polishing.

Not OEM, someone removed the paint and polished them prior.

With or without the paint, I've not seen a real big differnce in price. So pretty much just check around what the going price is on ebay for any of the matching wheels and that will probably be pretty close to what you can get.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Kreylyn. That's what I was thinking but I just wanted to be sure.

Comment

If the pitting is light, you might be able to get away with some light sanding and polishing with a wheel. If it's deep, there probably isn't much you can do to fix it. It's probably possible to braze, sand, and re-polish it, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about taking a torch to a set of wheels like that.

Polished aluminum is one of those cases where an ounce of prevention (clear coat or regular waxing/polishing) is worth about 20lbs of cure.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
          If the pitting is light, you might be able to get away with some light sanding and polishing with a wheel. If it's deep, there probably isn't much you can do to fix it. It's probably possible to braze, sand, and re-polish it, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about taking a torch to a set of wheels like that.

Polished aluminum is one of those cases where an ounce of prevention (clear coat or regular waxing/polishing) is worth about 20lbs of cure.

Yup. I gave up on mine, just waiting to see how ****ty they'll get before I finally replace them.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Clear powder coat?

My powder coating guy has a clear powder coating that is supposed to prevent pitting on polished stuff like that. I've never used it but to me it make sense.

I've also seen a product called Zoop seal that might prevent pitting.

Richard
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X