No announcement yet.
X

Any recomendations for a commuter tire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recomendations for a commuter tire?

45 miles each way Monday to Friday on the 91 in So Cal. Need to get a good set of tires but this is my first motorcycle and I am clueless please HELP! Oh and if you can point me in the right direction of where to get the best deal that would be great!

Is mileage your sole concern, or are you also going to be running around some canyons and such? There is a balance generally between grip and mileage.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Ive heard good things about Pilot Roads. Never having had them though, they are supposed to have good grip d get great mileage.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Pilot Road 3s, or if you can't find them... Pilot Road 2s are still available.

Perfect tire for your needs.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I am currently runnning the PRII's and with 11K on teh clock,will probably be good for another 2-3K before replacement. My commute is similar at 40 miles each way, majority super slab. I run them at 37 front and 39-41 rear for my 200 lb arse. These have had the best longevity of any tire I've run,with a good balance of grip and mileage.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

A lot of people swear by the Pilot Roads...great tires. I am just getting to the wear bars on a set of Pirelli Angel ST's. I do a LOT of canyon/mountain road riding, and it looks like these tires will last me about 5,000 miles....I'd venture to say that they'd last quite a bit longer if you mostly commute. For the replacement, I just picked up a set of Bridgestone BT-23's for a little over 200$ for the set from jcmotors.com. They're in Irvine, so you can pick them up in person, and their shipping costs aren't too high if you want delivery...

Comment

Anyone know anything about Continental Motions?

Comment

i put battlax sport touring rubber on the wifes SV.. we did some pretty hard twisties today and they held up great.. they are a bit harder in the center for higher mileage and softer at the edges.. i like them..
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                  i put battlax sport touring rubber on the wifes SV.. we did some pretty hard twisties today and they held up great.. they are a bit harder in the center for higher mileage and softer at the edges.. i like them..
                  The BT021 is tied for last place on my list of tires.

To the OP, are you going to be riding in the rain? Are you going to be mounting your own tires, or are you going to pay someone else to do it?

No (or minimal) rain, paying to have them mounted: PR2
                  Lots of rain: PR3
                  No rain, mounting yourself: Shinko Advance 005 or Conti Motions.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I used the Pirelli Angels pretty good . And based on other users recommendations Michelin Pilot Road 2 is pretty good. shipping is free out here

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post
                      Anyone know anything about Continental Motions?
                      i'm on my second rear motion. the first 170/60 only lasted 3K or so. i think i had an alignment issue. this 160/60 has 5K and still has 3-4/32s left. front still good. my riding is back and forth to the mtns and then some carving. stick good enough for me. great price.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

i'm running conti motions front and rear. i have 3k 70% super slab 30% twisties "days off time". there great for commuting and still look like the day i put them on. But for cornering there alittle slick int he grip side. I quit counting how many times i have drifted a corner from the rear getting loose.skunk strips on seat. they only stick the courners after heating them up realllllyy good. after i get some wear on them i will be going back to metzlers. i will sacrafice mileage for grip any day.
                        "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                        1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                        2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I have been using the pilot road 2 for a couple years now. They have done well for me. Someone mentioned something about rain earlier. I have had them in the rain and they did well. I once got caught on the interstate in a downpour. Even with standing water on the road I never felt them get out of shape.

Comment

for long life comuting and still decent grip for twisties

Michelin pilot active is a touring/comuters dream.

one of the longest lasting tires I have used.
                            Shinko Ravens are also a good comuting tire
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                              Michelin pilot active is a touring/comuters dream.
                              A bias-ply, oh hell no!

Originally posted by jjhussell View Post
                              I have been using the pilot road 2 for a couple years now. They have done well for me. Someone mentioned something about rain earlier. I have had them in the rain and they did well. I once got caught on the interstate in a downpour. Even with standing water on the road I never felt them get out of shape.
                              You liked them in the rain because you haven't ridden the PR3, it's better.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X