front tire removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front tire removal

I just got my new front tire delivered.
    However, Im having alot of trouble getting the front of my bike to stay off the ground so that I can remove the wheel and tire.
    The shop manual says to put bike on stand, and then jack the front of the bike up till the rear tire is on the ground. But, when I do this, the bike wants to topple over either to the left or the right.
    Does anyone have any trick for doing this?
    Charlie

You are placing her on the CENTER stand, correct? With her on the center stand, a small bottle jack placed under the exhaust crossover will help shift the weight to the rear, permitting you to remove the front tire assembly.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Not everybody has a center stand......

I used jackstands under the front of the frame while the engine was out. It strikes me that I've done pretty much the same thing under the front of the engine cradle with the engine in.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

well, i dont have a center stand, what i did was drill 2 large eye hooks into the ceiling of my garage. then took some ratchet straps and hook them onto the frame. i needed to have both wheels off for a couple months tho...
        but i promise you, you will find an overhead anchoring system useful in the future, i even use it for oil changes.

my parts bike is hanging from a similar system using 2 large wooden sawhorses in my back yard.

Comment

Originally posted by joedan View Post
          well, i dont have a center stand, what i did was drill 2 large eye hooks into the ceiling of my garage. then took some ratchet straps and hook them onto the frame. i needed to have both wheels off for a couple months tho...
          but i promise you, you will find an overhead anchoring system useful in the future, i even use it for oil changes.

my parts bike is hanging from a similar system using 2 large wooden sawhorses in my back yard.
          Same way I do it...Large eye bolt in the ceiling that bolts through an 8' 4x4 in the attic space that crosses the ceiling joists...plenty of support/lifting.

Comment

Yes, I do have a center stand. I figured it out though,
            I was able to get it secure, by using a jack on each side of the frame beside the oil pan.
            I appreciate your help though.
            I kinda like the idea of the lift attached to the ceiling though, may try that.

Comment

Working...
            X