No announcement yet.
X

Chain too tight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea it looks like they left out a spacer and tightened the crap out of it, then later... "It's not moving... guess I should just gun it."

Let this be a lesson to you.

Comment

I loosened up the chain to 1.25 in total slack measured on the side stand. It now runs awesome.

There is no "slipping" feeling that I described.

Comment

I agree... I just finished tightening my chain as well. 1.25in of slack total. I was suprised how little adjustng it took on those adjustment screws to get it tighter. Only like 1-2 full turns a piece on the screws tightened it right up.
        Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

The tightness of a chain has so much to do with the longevity of the chain and the sprockets. That slight, extra pressure will wear the teeth down.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Yea..... but too loose is bad too. And mine was definately too loose.
            Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Mine too. I think I found my sweet spot set at 1 and a quarter. I also ride 2 up a lot so it gives me a little extra play.

Comment

Well riding 2 up would compress the suspension more ... and slack the chain even more correct? So in your case wouldn't having it just slightly tighter (like just over 1in play all together be best?)
                Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Originally posted by RedKat91 View Post
                  Well riding 2 up would compress the suspension more ... and slack the chain even more correct? So in your case wouldn't having it just slightly tighter (like just over 1in play all together be best?)
                  No, backwards. Your chain tightens once you put weight on it. Think about it.

The TL bikes had some issues with this due to the rotary damper.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Going to be riding two up today, will see how it feels..

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      No, backwards. Your chain tightens once you put weight on it. Think about it.

The TL bikes had some issues with this due to the rotary damper.

Well when I adjusted my chain I adjusted it for a 1.25in play with the bike on the side stand... do you think this is too tight? Should I put the bike up on my swingarm motorcycle stand and adjust it to 1.25in of play?
                      Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Working...
                      X