X

need rear tire pic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need rear tire pic

I am about to replace the rear tire on my wife's 600. It currently has a 180/55-17 on a 4.5" rim which I know is not right. It says the stock size is 150/70-17 and I've read on here that a 170 pilot road will work on a 4.5 rim. Does anybody have any pics of your rear tire (150 to 170) mounted on the stock 4.5" rim? I want to see the differences in shape and clearance. Thanks.
    sigpic
    Sometimes life throws you a few curves...lean with it ! !

run a 150/70 or 160/60 and be done with it. that 180/55 must be oddly deformed to fit on the rum.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I cant find any info on the michelin...however the conti road attack 170 is designed for a 4.5" rim
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
        I cant find any info on the michelin...however the conti road attack 170 is designed for a 4.5" rim

I've not found any specific rim range info either, but I did find in their downloadable PDF tire fitment guide that they recomend the 170/60s roads, road 2s, and powers for a 4.5" rim on the FZR 1000 Genesis models. That info leads me to believe they will fit other 4.5" rims.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

anyone have pictures of the 170 on the rim?

Comment

it's 10mm wider than a 160 and 20mm wider than a 150. That's less an 1 inch. I don't have a pic, but if I did, you couldn't tell the difference.

Comment

170/60 on 4.5" rim

Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                170/60 on 4.5" rim

Thanks for the pic. The right size tire looks wider on the there than the 180/55 that came on my wife's bike. It still hasn't hardly had 1000 miles put on it yet since february when we got it, my F4i on the other hand has over 3500 put on it since February.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krusher View Post
                  Thanks for the pic. The right size tire looks wider on the there than the 180/55 that came on my wife's bike. It still hasn't hardly had 1000 miles put on it yet since february when we got it, my F4i on the other hand has over 3500 put on it since February.

That's because the tire physically is wider...

The rim pulls the short walled 180 in so far, it has less width than the properly sized tire. Measure edge to edge of what you have now...

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

here is the old tire. notice there is still about an inch or so of tread on the edge that was never ran on because it was so far around the side.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Im running a 160 pilot road 3 tire and according to michelin it will fit a 170 on my rim too. but I can tell you right now that its a load of crap. It can fit but it wont be good. Im going back to 150 even. on the track even the 160 is acting wierd.

Last edited by mammut89; 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM.
                      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I'm running a 160/60 Dunlop Roadsmart. It fits very nicely, looks pretty good & performs nice. The tread doen't wrap down around the sides, it's all usable.

Comment

Originally posted by Krusher View Post
                          here is the old tire. notice there is still about an inch or so of tread on the edge that was never ran on because it was so far around the side.
                          i found that same issue with both the 170/60 and 160/60 motions. couldn't get to the edge. maybe i've lost my death wish? the wear ended up being the same as 150/70 that i can get to the edge. i got decent mileage from the motions 8k+ on front 6k on rear. the Rally used it up.
                          Last edited by KAT TOY; 08-22-2011, 09:09 PM.
                          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                          X