Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Does Harbor Freight have anything that can press a master link?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Harbor Freight have anything that can press a master link?

I seem to go through a chain every five years and that is not enough for me to justify spending big bucks on a chain press from the likes of Motion Pro (who overprices). Dos Harbor Freight have anything that can press on a regular 530 link?
    Getting back to Motion pro, they sell a chain alignment tool for like $25 that I saw at Harbor (looked identical!) for $3.

I bought my Motion Pro chainbreaker/riviter at MAC Tools for 70 bucks. Not off the net tho, I just walked in and picked it up. Its worth having.

You could always ride the bike up to a bike shop, get everything ready and they'll probably snap it on for you for 10 bucks or so.
    1990 GSXF 1100
    2011 KLR 650

Comment

Harbor Freight stuff will work.....once or twice. Then it breaks, hence the cheap price.
      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
        Harbor Freight stuff will work.....once or twice. Then it breaks, hence the cheap price.
        I'll be getting a Concours 14 in a few months, if I got a tool for $10 and it worked once and broke, I'd be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
          Originally posted by DClark View Post
          I'll be getting a Concours 14 in a few months, if I got a tool for $10 and it worked once and broke, I'd be happy.
          I bought a float charger from them and it didnt last the season
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Go to ebay and do a search (title AND description) for "Motorcycle chain Pit Posse"

They make a chain tool that works really well. It's the one I have that was recommended to me by Arsenic (if you remember him...he's not on KR anymore).

Should cost you about $50
            -
            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

An arbor press + a steel cone, ball bearing, etc will do it, but you'd have to take the swingarm off to get the chain back on (or try to maneuver the arbor press up close to the bike to do it while the chain is on).

There are some decent chain presses on ebay that aren't really expensive.... so that's probably the route I would take.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

C-Clamp and a BB.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Will this work?

Comment

Yes, but not to break the chain.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      C-Clamp and a BB.
                      Ditto.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post

Try this instead:

-
                        -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Thanks

I will likely replace my chain and sprockets after this season and will give these tools a try. For $9.99 each it's not much of a gamble. I will write a reveiw after.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            C-Clamp and a BB.
                            Exactly how do you do that? Do you place a BB between part of the clamp and on the middle of the plate and tighten it down?

Comment

Working...
                            X