X

opinions please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions please

So the kat is in need of tires and brakes. I have been to a few local shops and a couple of them have suggested Shinko 005 tires. I have never heard of them and want to know what you guys thought of them. I did read a couple of threads and so far they seem like a good tire. I am running Maxxis tires currently and they have been good to me. I have about 8200 miles on them. I do ride hard sometimes, ride in the rain, and just commute to work. I am also going to Deals Gap in September. Would you run these tires? I'd like to get the opinion of people that have actually rode on them.
    01 Kat 750- daytona blue, black and gunmetal powdercoat, yoshi RS-3, 03+ tail section , Barnett Kevlar clutch and springs, 8k HID's, racerback seat cowl, polished lips and painted rotors, tinted windscreen, lowered, smoked turn and tail lights, intergraded led tail light KatRiders decals,184 White leds! More of them to come.
    Repaint this winter, along with some other stuff

not a fan of the shinkos unless its all you can possibly afford, i had them on my bike when i bought it

Comment

I've run Shinko's, Dunlops, Bridgestones, and Maxxis within the last 6 years or so. The Shinko's are fine tires, and I would not hesitate to run them again. I also have friends that have run Shinko's down to the threads, and with nothing bad to say about them. On the other hand, I now avoid Dunlop and Bridgestone like the plague........

That said, though, you can pick up a set of the original Pilot Powers for not much more than a set of Shinko's, so it might be worth going that direction.

BTW- I'm running Maxxis Supermaxx tires currently. If that is what you're running, then the 005 is probably going to be pretty close to the same. It has the same roundish profile, and sticks similarly from what I recall. I haven't ridden a lot on 005's.
      Last edited by loudnlow7484; 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I have run the 005's and had zero issues with them. I did a trackday on them and railed them at the gap as well. Great tire for the money. My suggestion though, save another $50 and get a set of Pilot Powers from either www.sportbiketrackgear.com or www.jakewilson.com I went to the powers after the 005's and now have 005's as emergency back-up tires.

The picture below is me at the Gap running 005's , my sig pic is on the powers
        Attached Files
        Last edited by teddy; 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
          -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. LnL, I am running the supermaxx tires also. They are great tires for the money and I would buy them again. Teddy, its really not about the money. I intended on running something other than the Shinkos. I was just introduced to them at a couple of bike shops and wanted to see if they were good tires for the money. I did find another thread on a different forum. This guy wrote a book on them..haha His comments on them was very informative and he gave them a good rep. BTW, I am leaning towards EBC HH pads for it and also a wave rear rotor. Any negative thoughts on these? This is why I love this forum!! Great guys and a ton of info!!

Well after checking both sites you guys gave me, Jake doesn't have the PP 2CT rear tire and sportbiketrackgear has them but they are back ordered.
            Last edited by 01kat750; 07-08-2010, 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            01 Kat 750- daytona blue, black and gunmetal powdercoat, yoshi RS-3, 03+ tail section , Barnett Kevlar clutch and springs, 8k HID's, racerback seat cowl, polished lips and painted rotors, tinted windscreen, lowered, smoked turn and tail lights, intergraded led tail light KatRiders decals,184 White leds! More of them to come.

Comment

I added HH pads up front on my Kat with SS lines. That spring I went out and did my annual shake off the rust exercises. Stop and goes, panic stops etc. I managed to stoppie the Kat lol, scared the hell out of me. For the rear I've always stuck with regular pads.
              Kyle

Comment

Yeah the ss lines are an upgrade for the winter along with a ton of other stuff. I swear I'm gonna have enough money in this bike to pay cash for a new ss bike...lol

Comment

Another question... If I run a 160/60 on the rear, should I run a 120/60 on the front or keep the 120/70?

Comment

Everyone I know with a 160/60 kept the 120/70...

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

120/70....the 120/60 doesn't have the proper weight rating.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Thanks guys! Decided to run the michelin pilot road 2's with the ebc hh pads. 120/70 on the front and 160/60 on the rear

Comment

good combo!

i just got in some Avon Storm 2 Ultra's! with a 50$ rebate ill post some reviews on them, and pictures!
                          03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
                          04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
                          08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
                          10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
                          05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

My tires wont be shipped until July 30th. That gives me a little over a month to break them in before the dragon.

Comment

I run the Shinko 009 Ravens 160/60/17 rear and 120/70/17 front. No complaints so far.
                              Excellent cornering!
                              R.I.P. CYBERPOET

***WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER AGAIN ONE DAY***

Comment

Working...
                              X