X

Bunch O Tire Questions :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a sticky yet?
    Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
      Whoops! My Bad! Example is right - explanation wrong.

Should have read:

In terms of diameter / circumference, once you are within the same construction (cross ply or radial) you'll generally find that a drop in aspect ratio of 1 size requires a double increase in cross section width to remain equivalent. eg 160/60 closely equates to a 180/50 ... roughly and generally.

So no - you don't need 130/40s.

For radial fronts - you might be looking at a 120/70R as the standard replacement, but perhaps - if it exists - a 120/80R could be closer to the overall diameter.
      Yeah, looks like 120/70's is what I have to get. 84mm vs 88mm, speedo will ride .86mph slower than speedo reads at 65mph. Not bad at all. The extra 1cm of difference will give me a little extra tread in the front, too. I don't have an issue running that tire.

Originally posted by 06katanarider View Post
      I run a 120/70/17 and a 160/60/17 on mine. I usually go with the Dunlop Roadsmarts and have been getting around 8K miles a set, but I changed up this time and went with the Shinko Raven 009. I only paid $200 installed for the set. Suppose to be a good touring tire. many ppl. on here have went with the Pilot(s) or Pilot Powers (2ct). The original Pilot tires are pretty cheap ($160 set shipped) but seem to be a popular tire among other riders on here.
      From my understanding Radial tires are suppose to have a longer life to them than your basic other tires.

I am no knee draggereither, as I use my bike to ride daily to and from, and I get good milage out of all my parts (tires too)
      Yeah, right now I'm planning on 120/70 WR17 in the front and 150/70 WR17 in the rear. Though the tires I'm looking at are considerably more expensive than the ones you guys are talking about.

I'm looking at the Michelin Road Pilot 2 CT's and Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interacts. Seem to be about $300 for a set...not shipped..

Radials are the newer technology - no doubt. And because of that, extra R&D has gone into their development, compounds, multi-compounds, tread design etc. They flex better, conform to the road better, give you a larger contact patch ...

Cross plies like the Dunlop Arrowmax and Pirelli Demons LOOK like radials. Modern tread design. And I THINK, some compound technology like carbon silica.

However, a cross ply will never quite feel or handle like a radial.

Cross plies have some advantages too - like strength and carrying capacity. They flex less and have stronger side walls. Heavy vehicles, trailers etc still use cross plies because in those applications they are better.

For bikes - if you want high end performance, max stability at max speed (but remember, max stability comes at the cost of "chuckability", particularly at initial "drop in"!), extended grip limits, track days etc. the radial is a better tyre. For everyday use under a sensible rider, there is nothing wrong with a cross ply - especially if that was OEM specified. You certainly wouldn't want to go backwards from a radial to a cross ply - even if it wasn't illegal!
      Hrm, I see. It seems like most of the world is switching to radials, though. All newer bikes, seemingly, regardless of their weight capacities, seem to have radial tires.. what's chuckability?

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
      pilot roads are the best i ever had, they last too,no one has ever talked bad about them
      I was looking at the road 2's with the CT

Think that was standard fitment from '98.

(Struth! I've been a Skid Mark, then a Chicken Strip, and now a Squid! When do the tags get positive!!??)
      Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      A few things to keep in mind with the postings made here... Some of you may already know this, but I'm putting all the info in 1 spot for anyone who doesn't have the "whole" story.

Syndicate - Your bike is a "pre" 750.

Most Pre kats in 600 and 750 cc size use rims of the following size.

Front - 3"
      Rear - 3.5"

If you have the 3 swept spoke rims. There were some 88 600s that used a 6 spoke 3" rear and 2.75" front.

The stock recomended sizes for the 3 spoked rims would be tires of the following sizes.

Front - 110/80/17"
      Rear - 140/80/17"

But wait... that's not what your info says right?... read on.

That was what was on the Pre 600s from the factory.

The 750 stock sizes were...

Front 110/80/17"
      Rear 150/70/17"

The general rule of thumb for fitment on a rim is +/- 1 Sized tire, if you adjust the aspect ratio by 1 as well.

So a 140/80 tire profile and fit on a rim is about the same as a 150/70. Going more than 1 size = changing the profile too much of the tire as it's oversized for the rim. (this is not exact for the over all outer dimensions, but for profile...)

A 160 does not/will not give the proper profile on a 3.5" rim. The edges are pulled in, the mid-sections and center are pushed out. Yes, you can shoe horn one on the 3.5" rim, but it won't wear right. You decrease the contact patch on the road because your using less of the tire (an inch or so on either side is pulled so far in it will never see pavement.

Post kats (98-06+) have rims in the 3.5" front and 4.5" rear. The stock size for the post kat was a 150/70. It's common for that tire size to "upgraded" to a 160/60.

So lets put this in perspective... a Rim that is 1" wider has the same stock size tire mounted as the Pre 750?... Yes. Because the pre 750 was already OVERSISED from the factory. It should have been the 140 on it.

This means that for the pre 750... going any larger than 150 on the rear is too large and gives profile issues. 150 is already the max size.

Most tire manufactures today recomend a 4" rim for a 150/70 tire, but will conceed to using a 3.5 or 4.5 as it's 1 size difference either way. The 160 definately needs a 4+" rim to have the proper profile.

As options, you can swap the rims for larger ones. The 98-02 post kat rims will bolt right in on your bike for example. Other options take mods/work but could happen as well.

Or you can just cope with having oversized tires mounted. There are members who do that and will say they have never had an issue... but the tire wear on their bikes shows they are not able to use the whole tire.

For stock pre Kat rims... I would suggest you use 120/70 fronts, and 150/70 rears as the largest sized tires on width. Ultimately, if you check with the tire manufactures technical manauls.... they will tell you what needs to be put on your bike from their offerings. The manuals are ussually a free PDF download from the manufactures website, like these...

Our Goal: Healthy Mobility - clean, safe and connected. Our heart beats for this. Learn more about it on our homepage.

Discover Metzeler's range of motorcycle tires and read our insights to guide your choice. Find out more online!

Krey
      Thanks Krey, that's pretty much what I got out of it, I didn't now all the details about the rims, but after researching today at work, I've pretty much definitely decided on 120/70's up front and 150/70's in the rear.

I have also almost definitely decided on the radial "upgrade" - yeah, they are more expensive, definitely, and I have absolutely no problems with the tires i have on there now..but I'd like to be set up with a good tire, and seeing as the world seems to be switching to radial tech, I think I shall go in that direction as well.

I think the only question is what to get, there seems to be lots of good tires out there. These Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interacts seem to be quite a good tire...but $300 shipped is quite expensive. Not to mention i have yet to find a lot of stuff about the mileage I'd get out of them..lots of info on the regular Z6's, though.

The idea of softer sides and a harder center is quite appealing to me, both the Pilot 2CT's and the Z6 Interacts use (separate methods, the 2CT uses a straight up different compound, while the Interacts use a patented technology (forgot the name) which winds the steel fibers tighter towards the inside creating more flex on the outside, making it stickier.

Given what I'm looking for in a tire:
      - Radial
      - 120/70 (F) // 150/70 (R)
      - Speed rating of V or W (no, I don't plan on going that fast, I just find (possibly false) security in that they were tested up to 149/168 respectively)
      - Weight max of 500lbs or higher per tire (I'm a big guy)
      - Dual compound or similar technology (stickier edges, hard centers for longevity).

Do you have any other suggestions I should be looking at? Sure, I know I'm asking a lot, so I probably will have to pay out the ***..but I guess that's the price you pay for getting a really good tire. Do I need it for daily street driving? Probably not, but I'd def. appreciate the extra traction security in the turns (even if I'm not a knee dragger), and they beat soft compound as I don't want to have to replace these next year.

Also, are there any non-radials that match the rest of the specs I mentioned, and fit the criteria I seem to be looking for? Or are they kind of phased out at that level?

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
      Is this a sticky yet?
      There is a sticky with a lot of good general information, my post was initially me being confused by the numbers and plies and such, why I couldn't find jack **** for 110/80, etc., but I think that's all straightened out, now. Now I'm just kind of looking for some advice now that I know almost exactly what I'm looking for. I don't have money coming out of my ***, but I'm (sorta) willing to drop extra money if it means a better tire.
      '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
      '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
      '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
      '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
      '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
        Do you have any other suggestions I should be looking at?

My current personal favorite tires to run are Continental Road Attacks.

www.ridedirect.com has them in the sizes your looking for at $243.90 delivered.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

And all the above is why tyre fitters over here are reluctant to fit radials to pre Kats. Some flat out refuse - others will fit a rear only - those that will do it do so reluctantly. Hence, I stuck with cross plies. I look forward to radials on the '05 when it arrives though!

Will be interested to hear what you think going directly from cross plies to radials.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            My current personal favorite tires to run are Continental Road Attacks.

www.ridedirect.com has them in the sizes your looking for at $243.90 delivered.

Krey
            You have any exp with the others? I've heard good things about the coni attacks too, do you know anything about the mileage on them?

That's not a bad price at all.

Have you tried any of the others on my list at the bottom?

And all the above is why tyre fitters over here are reluctant to fit radials to pre Kats. Some flat out refuse - others will fit a rear only - those that will do it do so reluctantly. Hence, I stuck with cross plies. I look forward to radials on the '05 when it arrives though!

Will be interested to hear what you think going directly from cross plies to radials.
            I'll comment back, don't worry.

------------

Think right now it's a total toss up between:
            - Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interacts (hella expensive, though)
            - (newly introduced to me) Continental Road Attacks
            - Michelin Road Pilot 2CT's (Questionable grip compared to others?)
            - Pirreli Angel ST's (again, quite expensive)
            - Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmarts

I guess if anybody has any opinions about the above please comment.

EDIT:
            I would have considered the Dunlop SportMax Q2's, but they don't have the 150/70 I need for the rear. I'm going 120/70 up front and 150/70 rear.
            Last edited by Syndacate; 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM.
            '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
            '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
            '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
            '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
            '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

Working...
            X