X

tire size post kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size post kat

Im newbie to kats and Im running a 2001 600 and i want to put a 170/50/17 or a 180/55/17 would there be any problems with these tires on the rear i will be keeping the stock size in the front thanks for the help

ibtl
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sshortys101 View Post
      Im newbie to kats and Im running a 2001 600 and i want to put a 170/50/17 or a 180/55/17 would there be any problems with these tires on the rear i will be keeping the stock size in the front thanks for the help

Check with the tire manufacture... Most brands recomend a 160 as the largest for your rear rim of 4.5". There are a few tires that you can run a 170/60 but those are tire/type specific. A 180 needs to be mounted on a 5.5" rim for it to have the proper profile. A bad profile decreases perforamnce and tire life, increases tire failure chances.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by DOCTORNITRO View Post
        ibtl
        ?

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Check with the tire manufacture... Most brands recomend a 160 as the largest for your rear rim of 4.5". There are a few tires that you can run a 170/60 but those are tire/type specific. A 180 needs to be mounted on a 5.5" rim for it to have the proper profile. A bad profile decreases perforamnce and tire life, increases tire failure chances.

Krey
        thanks thats what ive been reading i just wanted to check with people that ride kats all the time
        Last edited by sshortys101; 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by sshortys101 View Post
          i believe that the biggest you can fit would be 160/70 or 160/60, anymore than that you can run into more problems. It is useless to run a 180 because you cannot use all of the tire, a 160 looks great and fits fine.

Comment

IBTL= In Before The Lock........... people say this when they expect that a thread will be locked by the moderators shortly. This question gets asked about 1/2 million times per year, so generally the response to it is an absolute flame-fest, which results in the thread getting locked.

To answer your question, pick only a tire that is recommended by the manufacturer for a 4.5" wheel, since that is what is on your motorcycle. Most of the time, this will be a 160/60-17, but some manufacturers do make 170/60-17's that are made for a 4.5" wheel. In any case, if the manufacturer says it's correct, then it is correct. They are the ones that designed it, after all. :
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I was running the conti-contiforce in a 170/60r17.. My current tire is the shinko tire in the 170/60r17 tire as well for the rear.. I also contacted both companies to make sure it fit the 4.5 in rear wheel... But i have had no issues running that size and it looks pretty fat, and handles really good.

But I do know that I would not run a 175/50r17 or a 180/50r17. It mae fit, but more then likely is not safe...

So if u find a tire you like, send the company an email and see what the biggest tire that can wok safely on ur 4.5" rim...
              2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

I run a 160/60/17 and a 120/70/17 and I love them. I would not recommend going biger than a 160/60 in the rear.
                R.I.P. CYBERPOET

***WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER AGAIN ONE DAY***

Comment

yeah im runnign a 160 ive ran a 170 going 170 for the summer, just check with tire maker.

Comment

Working...
                  X